Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I have always threatened to write a lot of letters regarding whatever complaint, and in the last few years I've started doing so on infrequent occassion. My wife thinks (and she's probably correct) I'll be a crazy old man sending lots of letters. I could well imagine, as an example, settling into a daily routine of a letter to the White House objecting to the prevailing New Deal philosophy and any number of rants. I intend to be a powerhouse of impotent rage!

Only now, after I turned in my list, does it occur to me how weird it is to be asked for a list of job duties from my boss.

I mean, shouldn't he already KNOW? :nonp:

Get used to it, you'll be doing lots of this over the years. :straight:

And actually, depending on how recent and so on, I can actually see it from the manager's perspective. Self-starters frequently take on additional tasks, and may or may not address this with their manager. Even if they do, if it's just incremental activity it's rare that a manager will think to keep formal track of it. Plus there may be a gap in understanding between the manager and employee, and it is better to start from what the employee thinks they should be doing than either presume or just throw it out there, all depending on the situation.

Although I'm used to it from a different perspective, usually it's because I've got a new manager as I've been around a long time. You'd be surprised that HR never seems to keep track of this, I've asked for versions I know I've submitted before but nobody seems to have them. Then I've also received the request from an independent HQ audit or other program where they want to canvass employees directly. So it's not usually been from a manager who hired me into a position and should know, at least in theory.

Though I've also realized just how amazing it is how much day-to-day work people "collect", just like with stuff, adding new tasks to whatever role they've assumed, often flexing to whatever their natural capacity is, which also grows with experience. I had a fairly massive amount of tasks/responsibilities in my prior role, there's a few I'm not quite rid of though there's a plan to ensure that happens, and my former stuff has been apportioned among several people and at least 2 new jobs (though some of that's muddied with a reorg in the meantime).

I spent a few minutes yesterday being verbally abused by an older gentleman who is no longer in total control of his physical being but still sharp mentally. He was not happy that I could not do what he asked and told me so.

It was sobering. I mean he was harmless but the more I think of him the more I see me in another 40 years. Alone and somewhat helpless but struggling for independence and dignity. Great.

Ok, in all seriousness, I can sympathize with this right now. I'm a virtual twin for my father, and seeing him debilitated in a wheelchair virtually unable to function has been like looking at a very dark mirror. Except he has people to take care of him. I honestly don't know what would happen if I were in his situation. I think I would pray for someone to smother me.

I have always threatened to write a lot of letters regarding whatever complaint' date=' and in the last few years I've started doing so on infrequent occassion. My wife thinks (and she's probably correct) I'll be a crazy old man sending lots of letters. I could well imagine, as an example, settling into a daily routine of a letter to the White House objecting to the prevailing New Deal philosophy and any number of rants. I intend to be a powerhouse of impotent rage![/quote']

Oh, don't be that guy, Z...don't be that guy! He comes in to the library all the time looking for information on how to contact this branch of the government or that department head or president Bush's personal email address... :rolleyes:

I have always threatened to write a lot of letters regarding whatever complaint' date=' and in the last few years I've started doing so on infrequent occassion. My wife thinks (and she's probably correct) I'll be a crazy old man sending lots of letters. I could well imagine, as an example, settling into a daily routine of a letter to the White House objecting to the prevailing New Deal philosophy and any number of rants. I intend to be a powerhouse of impotent rage![/quote']

Oh, my God, Zornwil, my Dad does the EXACT SAME THING !!!!!!! Only he writes letters all the time and has for decades.

Ok' date=' in all seriousness, I can sympathize with this right now. I'm a virtual twin for my father, and seeing him debilitated in a wheelchair virtually unable to function has been like looking at a very dark mirror. Except he has people to take care of him. I honestly don't know what would happen if I were in his situation. I think I would pray for someone to smother me.[/quote']

You smother my back I'll smother yours? :think:

We'll move someplace close to eachother.

Oh' date=' don't be that guy, Z...don't be that guy! He comes in to the library all the time looking for information on how to contact this branch of the government or that department head or president Bush's personal email address... :rolleyes:[/quote']

But it's fun!

PS - and I'm not rude, I promise!

PPS - and I hope to remain alert and all....

But I probably won't be that guy aside from the occasional thing - like I did send a nice email to Mountain Dew extolling the virtues of Pitch Black and wishing they'd bring it back....

...okay so maybe I'll be that guy but can I aim to be the best of that guy? We all have to get old and crazy somehow. I would hope to be more functional than either my mother (who essentially died by placing herself in abusive circumstances) or my father (who literally became a hermit). Errr, so, see, I'm the sane one.... :ugly:

Oh' date=' my God, Zornwil, my Dad does the EXACT SAME THING !!!!!!! Only he writes letters all the time and has for decades.[/quote']

I was too lazy to write real letters before the advent of PCs....though still too lazy to put on a stamp all too often!

Oh' date=' don't be that guy, Z...don't be that guy! He comes in to the library all the time looking for information on how to contact this branch of the government or that department head or president Bush's personal email address... :rolleyes:[/quote']

Oh, and I have to add, the image of Dr. Cox saying "Don't be that guy" is just too funny... (reminds me of the time he tells Ted "don't be that guy" - and we all have Ted to have pity for!)

A cat bite sent you to the ER? What' date=' were you trying to see if a cat really could kill a 1st level wizard?[/quote']

Depending on the bacteria in the cat's mouth, might be fine, might be life threatening. Pasteurella is common enough that you don't want to mess with them.

If it's a shallow bite in a low risk area, I just scrub it out. This one was right into the joint capsule at the base of my thumb. Just deep enough. While I was waiting at the ER, I could watch the progress of an infection starting. Not fun.

Though compared to some of the ER entertainment. One guy was run over by a Hummer. And this woman was there because a Black Widow had bit her FIVE days ago. Her hand was swollen like a balloon. She wasn't comfortable at all.

If you are talking about the last scenes in the film then yes. I was talking about earlier when you see the girls in uniform.

Ah. Okay. That makes sense.

Get used to it, you'll be doing lots of this over the years. :straight:

And actually, depending on how recent and so on, I can actually see it from the manager's perspective. Self-starters frequently take on additional tasks, and may or may not address this with their manager. Even if they do, if it's just incremental activity it's rare that a manager will think to keep formal track of it. Plus there may be a gap in understanding between the manager and employee, and it is better to start from what the employee thinks they should be doing than either presume or just throw it out there, all depending on the situation.

I suppose that would make sense, if I weren't the only employee he supervised, and I didn't touch base with him regarding my job duties and progress about once a month. He doesn't do much direct supervision (except to check whether I'm online or not, apparently), but I've never been coy about what I'm up to.

I suppose that would make sense, if I weren't the only employee he supervised, and I didn't touch base with him regarding my job duties and progress about once a month. He doesn't do much direct supervision (except to check whether I'm online or not, apparently), but I've never been coy about what I'm up to.

Then it's probably some HR requirement that is "very important" until it's done and filed.

Then it's probably some HR requirement that is "very important" until it's done and filed.

And if HR is driving the reporting of job duties to be updated annually, a boss given the choice between writing it up themselves and telling their employee to do so have an easy choice. :)

Hmm. :think:

Actually, it seems to have been fueled by either A) Suspicion I'm in here goofing off all day; or B) Shifting-around of job duties, and needing to know what he's piling onto, and therefore how much I can take on before I go berserk and bring in a nasty weapon to keep me company. Maybe both.