The Last Word

Bazza

I disagree, because IME the humanities people are too willing to allow elegance of phrase and argument override theobservations and measurements. Meanwhile, science types consider dielectic to be a largely content-free waste of time, and reach immediately for the measuring stick. And we won't bring up at all what happens when the science types find mathematical tools beyond algebra to be essential for further progress.

I disagree, because IME the humanities people are too willing to allow elegance of phrase and argument override theobservations and measurements. Meanwhile, science types consider dielectic to be a largely content-free waste of time, and reach immediately for the measuring stick. And we won't bring up at all what happens when the science types find mathematical tools beyond algebra to be essential for further progress.

All the more reason then, possibly. 

All the more reason then, possibly. 

To paraphrase something I heard once:

Philosophers and Clergy are concerned with "Why the gods made us." Scientists are concerned with the "How."

Well I agree that philosophy is concerned with the "why" and science with the "how" but disagree with the "the gods made us" part. 

Oh? disagree on the god's plural or the existence of god, period? I'm a freelance monotheistic pagan with strong leanings towards Universal Unitarianism myself.

Well, that's a philosophy/theology issue about which I have no opinion.

Intelligent design. 'Nuff said. *puts on flame-proof body suit*

EDIT: as in, I myself subscribe to intelligent design.

Oh? disagree on the god's plural or the existence of god, period? I'm a freelance monotheistic pagan with strong leanings towards Universal Unitarianism myself.

More disagree that "the gods" don't need to specifically be part of either philosophy and/or science. However "divinity" is a different kettle of fish. 

Oh and God/dess exists, if you doubt, read Aquinas. 

I have would at this stage label myself a Platonist-Thomist. I also follow Sophia Perennis and its expressions (too many to list).  

I've always enjoyed God's Debris by Scott Adams, myself.

http://nowscape.com/godsdebris.pdf

Your book God’s Debris reminded me of Lucid Living (details below). Other books you might want to look into are also below

Lucid Living: A Book You Can Read in One Hour That Will Turn Your World Inside Out by Tim Freke

Similar
The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are by Alan Watts

On Having No Head: Zen and the Rediscovery of the Obvious by Douglas E. Harding [One of David Bowie's top 100 must-read books*]

Also consider:
The Last Superstition: A Refutation of the New Atheism by Edward Feser

(one book on that list “The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind” by Julian Jaynes caught my eye, will need to follow that one up)