The Last Word

Bazza

Actually, what that army did in the March to the Sea through Georgia was mild compared to what it did through South Carolina after it reached the sea and turned north.

But late in the war, the Union armies on multiple occasions engaged in randomly wrecking places when they took a city they did not intent to occupy permanently. The Confederacy had rather limited industrial capacity (and even less means of replacing what it lost), and the blockade kept manufactured goods out. Confederate forces never captured a major northern industrial site (though several times they captured Federal arsenals, depots, etc.) so they never had the opportunity to retaliate.

If ya gotta ask, you'll never understand....

In other news, it has already been a rather strange day. I had to blow the dust off my technical German, as I found myself looking up a paper from the 1959 Zeitschrift für Astrophysik. Hadn't had to do that in years, maybe decades. Whee!