The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

That's para-digg'ems for you.

Still, The World is a non-transcendable body of things forever "existing" beyond actual contextual foreground content. Any "view" of it will always be just a big-picture suffering from the fallacy of composition. This will never change.

~ Mister E ("I know the world is around here, somewhere.")

Somedy they will criticize us for having such a parochial world view' date=' locked as it is to the concepts of chronology, causality, and sequence.[/quote']

Why wait, I can do that now for you if you like? :winkgrin::eg:

Yeah' date=' you do that all the time. But I've thoroughly bought into my scientist perspective, and I'll stay that way.[/quote']

And really i do value that perspective. Even if i don't say it often enough.

Some days i do wish I had a background/grounding in science/academia.

There's always back to school.
But I've been at school since I was about six* with only one whole year off (whole of 2002). I completely finished in June 2010, one whole year ago approx today.

So you'll forgive me if i say "No!", I've had my share of school/university etc.

*woah 3 decades ago

Visibly' date=' there's a horizon. The Cosmic Background Radiation, you know -- visible to us as electromagnetic waves with the energy peak at ~3 degrees Kelvin. Looks as though it's 14 billion light years away, but is now actually about 40 ...[/quote']

40 Billion?

And what is over that horizon?

The physical Universe itself ... we don't know, and I am not sure that's knowable.

OTOH, the observable Universe is expanding into more of the physical Universe. The limit of the observable Universe is the distance where light/whatever is just now reaching us. We could not have observed it yesterday because there hadn't been enough time for those emissions to have reached us.

The physical Universe itself ... we don't know, and I am not sure that's knowable.

OTOH, the observable Universe is expanding into more of the physical Universe. The limit of the observable Universe is the distance where light/whatever is just now reaching us. We could not have observed it yesterday because there hadn't been enough time for those emissions to have reached us.

So in essence:

The observable universe is the universe where light has reached us. This could be from 1) the edge of the universe reflecting/rebounding back 2) from other objects within the universe eg a supernova. #2 could be from outside the observable universe, which increases our knowledge base and awareness of it.

If this equation is accurate: physical universe - observable universe = the areas of the physical universe we are unaware of. Right?

And as for "The physical Universe itself ... we don't know, and I am not sure that's knowable", it may be a case that science cannot answer this conundrum. That is not to say that it hasn't already been answered *knowingly wink*.

If this equation is accurate: physical universe - observable universe = the areas of the physical universe we are unaware of. Right?

Yes. Those areas are "outside our horizon" ... due to the finite age of the Universe, there has not been time enough for light to have reached us from places that far away.

And as for "The physical Universe itself ... we don't know, and I am not sure that's knowable", it may be a case that science cannot answer this conundrum. That is not to say that it hasn't already been answered *knowingly wink*.

Well ... not provably.

Yes. Those areas are "outside our horizon" ... due to the finite age of the Universe' date=' there has not been time enough for light to have reached us from places that far away. [/quote'] Cheers.

Well ... not provably.
Depends on the nature of proof. :)