The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

Just starting reading Werner Jaeger's Gifford Lecture turned book The Theology of the Early Greek Philosophers.

According to St. Augustine he distinguished three kinds of theology (genera theologiae): mythical, political, and natural.4 Mythical theology had for its domain the world of the gods as described by the poets; political theology included the official State religion and its institutions and cults; natural theology was a field for the philosophers—the theory of the nature of the divine as revealed in the nature of reality.

[...]

Greek philosophy is genuine natural theology because it is based on rational insight into the nature of reality itself; the theologies of myth and State, on the contrary, have nothing to do with nature but are mere artificial conventions, entirely man-made. St. Augustine himself says that this opposition is the very basis of the concept of natural theology.8

Modern science seems to be secular natural theology, or natural logos :)

Anyway though I'd give Cancer a heads up as he works in a Jesuit university and I'm sure the two, science and Greek natural theology might be of interest.

No ... just stuff I know. I think I've already made clear I know just about squat about real philosophy. And worse, I don't have a lot of interest in changing that. I've tried reading some philosophy, and to me it's like shoveling flies across a room. Lots of effort, lots of annoyance, very little happens.

*chuckle*

The human mind is a pattern, nothing more. The first dim flicker of awareness in the evolving forebrain of Australopithecus carried that pattern in embryo; and down through all the ages, as the human neural engine increased in power and complexity, gained control of its environment in geometrically expanding increments, the pattern never varied.

Man clings to his self-orientation as the psychological center of the Universe. He can face any challenge within that framework, suffer any loss, endure any hardship—so long as the structure remains intact.

Without it he's a mind adrift in a trackless infinity, lacking any scale against which to measure his aspirations, his losses, his victories.

Even when the light of his intellect shows him that the structure is itself a product of his brain; that infinity knows no scale, and eternity no duration—still he clings to his self-non-self concept, as a philosopher clings to a life he knows must end, to ideals he knows are ephemeral, to causes he knows will be forgotten.

The whole book is here but I don't know if that's a legal copy or not; it's a good enough book that buying a copy is worth doing.

Keith Laumer's Dinosaur Beach, chapter 18, section 40

The human mind is a pattern, nothing more. The first dim flicker of awareness in the evolving forebrain of Australopithecus carried that pattern in embryo; and down through all the ages, as the human neural engine increased in power and complexity, gained control of its environment in geometrically expanding increments, the pattern never varied.

This sounds like something Wilhelm Wundt or an adherent might say.

Man clings to his self-orientation as the psychological center of the Universe. He can face any challenge within that framework, suffer any loss, endure any hardship—so long as the structure remains intact.
Sounds like this is justified true belief.

Without it he's a mind adrift in a trackless infinity, lacking any scale against which to measure his aspirations, his losses, his victories.

Even when the light of his intellect shows him that the structure is itself a product of his brain; that infinity knows no scale, and eternity no duration—still he clings to his self-non-self concept, as a philosopher clings to a life he knows must end, to ideals he knows are ephemeral, to causes he knows will be forgotten.

Almost as if the author is--but not quite--paraphrasing/restating Parmanides' philosophical concept of Being. Just my take.

The whole book is here but I don't know if that's a legal copy or not; it's a good enough book that buying a copy is worth doing.

It's one of my favorite time-travel stories.

I had a look at the author's Wikipedia page and read the books reviews on Amazon. Looks to be very much a underrated classic. The 6 reviews on Amazon praise it highly, one treasuring it.

How similar is Jurassic Park, as this is a sort-of reverse time-travel story, bringing the past to the present.