The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

Many of them from Finns, yes. Though a number of them were from experience in the chat room where it seemed like all the Swedes' chat handles were "Life sucks". I teased them about having girlfriends named Life, about which they corrected me.

A lawyer and a spectroscopist walk into a bar...stop me if you have heard this one...

It took her months to learn to pronounce "spectroscopist" without stumbling over the word.

Lead to...

No doubt she found a loophole in the laws of Nature too.

Well at least I thought it was funny.

Many of them from Finns' date=' yes. Though a number of them were from experience in the chat room where it seemed like all the Swedes' chat handles were "Life sucks". I teased them about having girlfriends named Life, about which they corrected me.[/quote']

Humorless pratts, the lot of them. I bet they were emos from Stockholm ... ^^

Well, that's here at sea level. You go 80 km out of town and you're up at 1 km of altitude, and it's a little cooler.

Remember the nonsense that happened at the Vancouver Winter Olympics? That's just about what happens with our climate, too.

No; at least, I don't think so. It's just that I don't think of this climate as being an appropriate one for most Winter Olympic sports. It gets that way, maybe, if you go to higher altitude, but if you get a "pineapple express" ... a strong airmass from the central Pacific (on satellite pictures it looks like a stream of clouds connecting Puget Sound with Hawaii, hence the name) .. then you get temperatures in the low 50's F and lots and lots of rain, which suppresses the snow even at altitude. You can predict these things a couple of days out, but not the years in advance required by event planning, of course.

Relativity is about perception of time, right? I mean that ones perception changes how one perceives time?

If that is the case, then if collectively humanity perceived time differently, would that not change how we all see time, and what we perceive to be the nature of time?

No, it's not about perception. Clocks moving with respect to each other must "tick" at different rates, assuming they "tick" at the same rate when you bring them to a common velocity.

This is because the speed of light is finite and a constant and the same constant in all frames. This means that you cannot watch the "ticks" from clocks far away from you "as they occur". You receive the "ticks" from those clocks at a time after they were made at that clock, and the time difference is related to the distance of the clock ... which changes if the clock is moving with respect to you.