The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

Technically, it was over the evening of 10th/11th. It seems clear from talking to neighbors that stuff was smoldering and smelling of smoke during the evening of the 10th, but the fire department wasn't called until about 0115 on the 11th.

It was my roommate who passed on the snippet of conversation related to him, between the two women living immediately downstairs of us:

"Gee, the guys upstairs are really doing the incense tonight."

"Yeah, that's funny; they've never done that before."

They called the fire department about three hours later.

Well' date=' it's more or less unprovable now, and there's lots of folks claiming such a clean lifestyle back in the 1970s and '80s.[/quote']

My wife and I burn incense every so often. Both of us don't react to pot in a normal fashion, so neither of us did any of the that in the '70s & '80s. Hard drinking, yes, so no claim of "clean" living.

See, I've been barfing drunk only once in my life (and that on a bottle of tequila brought by a Quaker observatory director, believe it or not), and hung over no more than half a dozen times. I really don't drink much, never have, and when I do drink it's for taste.

See' date=' I've been barfing drunk only once in my life (and that on a bottle of tequila brought by a Quaker observatory director, believe it or not), and hung over no more than half a dozen times. I really don't drink much, never have, and when I do drink it's for taste.[/quote']

I had to learn where the line was for barfing drunk. And had to relearn a few times. Now, I drink for the taste and prefer stopping at a light buzz. I found if I alternate with non-alchohol drinks and consciously sip, I don't over do it. Much better all around.

On the other hand, I'm about to go give a mid-term, which means I get to grade said mid-term over the coming few days. Here's hoping we don't have a repeat from a couple quarters ago, when at five minutes after noon on Sunday I had to reach for the whiskey bottle.

I liked the Eyebeam cartoon where the boss walked into the title character's office (this is in a law firm), took away the coffee cup and put down a 6-pack, with the declaration, "Five o'clock. Time to switch from coffee to beer."