The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

IMO, D&D4 is OK.

Yeah, it's class- and level-based so you are compelled to a limited number of character concept options. Yeah, it's d20 so you are at the mercy of a flat probability distribution function. Yeah, the mechanics are streamlined if not downright simplified. Yeah, your combat ability is not, for the most part, affected by how much damage you have taken, only by application of "conditions" that are entirely distinct from (though usually applied at the same time as) damage that can kill you. Yeah, your combat maneuver options are very limited.

Still, it's a High Fantasy system which is approachable for novices to RPGs (like my kids) and doesn't require a great deal of thinking to wrap your mind around the system. Noncombat skills are diminished in importance, but a GM can spice that up with effort (and IME it's not that far below 5er in that regard, actually).

All told, it's not an awful system in core concept, and at least in the materials that have appeared so far, they have done a good job at balance, that is, in keeping most of the classes useful at all stages of character development. (A valid criticism on AD&D was that beginning magic-users died instantly after getting their one spell a day fired off, but if a magic-user survived to a high enough level they were just godlike and everyone else became superfluous. That isn't an issue, at least that we have seen so far.) I haven't wrapped my mind around the later additional materials, but the "power creep" (where options available in material published later are so more versatile/powerful that the initially available options are untenable) that is so evident in other systems hasn't become apparent yet. The system is young enough that it could still develop, of course.

I don't care for the background universe material, but that can be worked around. In fact, I've never liked any game system's published background universe material and generally made my game-worlds from whole cloth anyway.

This is strictly a personal thing, but I believe that good and evil are things within sentients themselves. There's no need for infernal devils or inhuman demons or abyssal gods or incomprehensible monsters from other dimensions. Lust for power and gold is intrinsic to the internally contradictory state engines which are the minds of sentient beings, and the reason our conflicts are so poignant is sentients' capacity to bring astonishingly powerful effects under their control in order to win the conflicts in which they choose to participate. More fundamentally, sentients are free to decide for themselves what makes for their own victory or defeat.

That short-circuits nearly all fantasy world background mythosystems that are published, and a lot of non-fantastic world backgrounds as well.

(A valid criticism on AD&D was that beginning magic-users died instantly after getting their one spell a day fired off' date=' but if a magic-user survived to a high enough level they were just godlike and everyone else became superfluous. That isn't an issue, at least that we have seen so far.) [/quote']

:think: *thinks to myself* what does that make of my L36 mage & psionicist* with superpowers, and 4x Hero System inspired Ultimate Skills?

*plus L20 RuneQuest battlemage. (note: over 90 Hit Dice)

It makes it a character that should be retired. D&D4 caps out at level 30. :P
That D&D game was "old school" the levels capped at L36 then you went questing to be an Immortal (Red Box to Immortal Box rules)

psst: the character became Immortal. by saving another uber-wizard

This is strictly a personal thing, but I believe that good and evil are things within sentients themselves. There's no need for infernal devils or inhuman demons or abyssal gods or incomprehensible monsters from other dimensions. Lust for power and gold is intrinsic to the internally contradictory state engines which are the minds of sentient beings, and the reason our conflicts are so poignant is sentients' capacity to bring astonishingly powerful effects under their control in order to win the conflicts in which they choose to participate. More fundamentally, sentients are free to decide for themselves what makes for their own victory or defeat.

That short-circuits nearly all fantasy world background mythosystems that are published, and a lot of non-fantastic world backgrounds as well.

*thinking of a campaign focused on Logical Positivism & Structuralism† Thinks this might be more Cancer's forte*

† Including Structuralism (philosophy of science).

"Logic is a fine thing, but mostly it can't compare to actual thought."

--Someone

Logic is the chastity belt of the mind.

-- Hank the Hallucination, Eyebeam

Without logic there would be no reason. without reason there would be no civilization.

-- Me.