The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

Yeah' date=' you probably have to go the "Personal communications" citation route. I've PM'ed you definitive contact info for the citation.[/quote']

I had to submit it before I got your PM. And now the tutor tells me he is marking it a week from today? :mad:

(almost feel like working on it and resubmitting it this-coming Friday. you know v.2.)

And thanks for the cite, I still have one more unit to go with my double degree, so it still could prove handy.

History of science' date=' ...The usual 1st mid-term stuff.[/quote'] Mmm, history of science...

Most of these students are business majors' date=' and a fair slug of liberal arts types.[/quote'] I would think (and hope) that liberal arts students would do well on the history of science section.

Mmm, history of science...

I would think (and hope) that liberal arts students would do well on the history of science section.

They do, though it's a very small portion of the course. Mostly it's there to remind people that a number of things were discovered empirically, patterns observed in the data itself, before any theoretical understanding existed. Science is so often presented as if the great theories came first and the experiments or observations filled into afterward, and that is almost invariably the wrong order.

They do' date=' though it's a very small portion of the course. Mostly it's there to remind people that a number of things were discovered empirically, patterns observed in the data itself, before any theoretical understanding existed. Science is so often presented as if the great theories came first and the experiments or observations filled into afterward, and that is almost invariably the wrong order.[/quote']

I would have thought the theories for the most part came first, then the hypothesizes then the experiments etc.

But now that you mention it, the notion of red-shift regarding the expansion of the universe is one example I can think off where as you say "discovered empirically, patterns observed in the data itself". And it is a pretty big one at that (doh, I just remembered his name Hubble -- like you can forget that big well-known satellite in the sky :o ).

eg, from wikipedia:

Positivism is a philosophy that holds that the only authentic knowledge is that which is based on actual sense experience. Metaphysical speculation is avoided. Though the positivist approach has been a 'recurrent theme in the history of western thought from the Ancient Greeks to the present day' [1] and appears in Ibn al-Haytham's 11th Century text Book of Optics,[2] the concept was first coined by Auguste Comte, widely considered the first modern sociologist,[3] in the middle of the 19th century

bolded parts relevant to my point. And again...

Sociology is the scientific or systematic study of human societies. It is a branch of social science (with which it is informally synonymous) that uses various methods of empirical investigation[1][2] and critical analysis[3] to develop and refine a body of knowledge about human social structure and activity,

Comte (who was unaware of Frauenhofer's work) put the composition of the stars on his of things "forever unknowable to the mind of man". As a stellar spectroscopist, my prime scientific activity has been determining chemical compositions of stars. :D

I would have thought the theories for the most part came first' date=' then the hypothesizes then the experiments etc. [/quote']

"If simple perfect laws uniquely rule the universe, should not pure thought be capable of uncovering this perfect set of laws without having to lean on the crutches of tediously assembled observations? True, the laws to be discovered may be perfect, but the human brain is not. Left on its own, it is prone to stray, as many past examples sadly prove. In fact, we have missed few chances to err until new data freshly gleaned from nature set us right again for the next steps. Thus pillars rather than crutches are the observations on which we base our theories; ..."

Martin Schwarzschild, An introduction to the theory of stellar structure and evolution, 1958.