The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

So far, no. But I have five more questions to grade. There hasn't been a question where repeated cluelessness has set me off. Still, I was a little surprised at how many of them botched the problem that I told them Would Be On The Test. I haven't yet got to the question that's verbatim from the sample exam I gave them as a study aid; we'll see how that one goes.

I got a tip from an upperclassgirl I know -- the guy in charge of the course tends to give fairly transparent hints on what's going to be in the tentamina.

[slightly chinese-accented english] ". . . And yes, this is really important too . . ."[/slightly chinese-accented english]

I give explicit warnings about things I'm going to put on tests, and there are people who, come test day, can't do it. Are they asleep? Do they think I'm lying? Do they not care? Shrug. They get the low score dumped on them.

Invariably those things I label as "will be there" tend to be multi-stage logic/reasoning situations. If there's one thing I've learned while teaching, students HATE it when you try to force them to do multi-stage reasoning. The idea that multiple processes or mechanisms are needed to produce something seems too ugly to be accepted. So they leave out steps, and end up hung out to dry.

Fortunately' date=' I haven't yet had an allergic reaction to a medication. I've had side effects bite me a couple of times, but those were just that: known side effects. That said, I think this is the first pill-form sulfa I've had ever, and it's the first sulfa prescription I recall since I was 9.[/quote']

It's not an allergic reaction. Just a . . . reaction, I guess. Fairly common side effect, especially in those with inner ear issues.

There are some people who have cholesterol problems for whom large daily doses of niacin corrects the cholesterol problem. Niacin therapy gets tried fairly often because it is non-prescription and cheap and doesn't involve anything you don't usually eat anyway, but I gather it only works for about 10% of the cases. (It did nothing for me beyond the hot-flash thing after taking it.)

Organic Chem was a washout class; the Chemistry Dept was aware of it, reveled in it, and AFAICT worked at making it an obnoxious, b****y, stressful PITA. Chemistry (as it's taught in undergrad courses) being irrelevant to astrophysical situations, it was not required of me, unlike all those other folks. And having quite enough on my plate already, I saw no need to seek out boat anchors like that.