The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

The weirdest thing about the DST-being-pushed-forward thing was that Josh and I were going to do something special for our anniversary (March 24th) at the exact time we got married. But the light levels were all wrong, so neither of us could pinpoint whether our wedding started at 5 or 6 PM. ("It was darker than this, wasn't it?")

For things like that, the best thing is to convert both events' times to Universal Time. If you want to be really anal about it, convert both to Heliocentric Julian Date, and choose which are different by an integer number of tropical years (though the length of the tropical year (1) is not an integral number days or minutes or seconds, and (B) changes slowly with time.

Needless to say, true synchonicity is not trivial to attain.

No, certainly not.

I've sometimes heard it proposed that we all go by the same time, globally, and just do things at different times. So, for instance, in my time zone, sunrise would be at 2 PM, or something, and I'd work at 4 PM. If light levels became a problem, that would shift to 4:30 or 5, or back to 3:30 or 3.

It would make keeping time across time zones a lot easier.

Well, yes, but there's no reason to say that "daylight" always means 6 AM. It seems so arbitrary, anyway. Why not 12 AM? 12 PM, so noon can be 6? Those numbers only mean what we think they do because we've assigned them a certain value. That value can be changed without altering one's circadian rhythms even slightly.