The Last Word

Bazza

Off the top of your head ( some research allowed if you like): what are the 7 most important books published in modern science? Astronomy? Chemistry? (Crossover between science, astronomy & chemistry expected).

Trying to get a feel for the major milestones in science, so ask professionals, right?

I need to know more of what you mean. Where do you draw the lines for "modern"? And what is "important" in this context?

It has been a long time since a book in the sense of a monograph has been pivotal to the things thought by practitioners in physics or astronomy. Individual papers are more the thing, for the last 125 years or more. I suspect, but do not know for sure, the same is true about other disciplines.

For modern I'm thinking that the benchmark is Newton, but acknowledge that there are some who you might call the "founding fathers" before him. I'm thinking of people like Johannes Kepler, Galileo Galilei, Nicolaus Copernicus. Other major people I'm thinking of are Michael Faraday & James Clerk Maxwell.

I'm also thinking of limiting this list to 1899 so basically exclude Einstein and his era.  

My objective is to basically say: if one were to read the major works of these people would that give the person a basic grasp of "modern" science? Of the people I've mentioned in this post, who have i missed that one would need to read (assuming that one can understand the original books) to understand that science discipline (chemistry, astronomy, physics) and science in general. 

I'm thinking of trying to limit it to seven to ten books (or people and listing the major books by that person, e.g. Newton wrote Principia and Optics). 

Addendum: Oh I left out Boyle, Pariah will be so mad at me. Also another useful topic-heading could be "Pre-Netwon" that is the major monographs of modern science before Newton. 

Rephrasing the question: Assuming that a person wants to self-educate themselves with modern science (after-Aristotle), what is the minimum number of books that one would need to read, i.e. the absolute essentials up until 1900.

Categories/disciplines (potential useful)

• General science - Pre-Newton
  • General science - After-Newton
  • Physics
  • Chemistry
  • Astronomy

(A lot of this is my librarian nature trying to systematise modern science to its highlights & essentials.)

What books/monographs etc would you suggest to cover "Copernicus/Tycho/Kepler/Galileo"? I can find Copernicus' book (yes still in print). On Tycho I'm not familiar with as far as him publishing anything. Kepler wrote a few I remember. Also did Galileo publish anything?

Addendum: Galileo Galilei did. Wow. Obvious yes of course, but we don't hear about it much.

Okay working my way through my homework by Cancer (which is odd when you think about it, cancer giving you homework :D

Galileo Galilei considered his "Dialogues Concerning Two New Sciences" as is "most important work" so if I was going to read on of his, I'd go ahead and read that one. 

Okay draft list of most important works in the Scientific Renaissance era

1. Andreas Vesalius - De humani corporis fabrica (De humani corporis fabrica libri septem) 1543
  2. Nicolaus Copernicus - On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres 1543
  3. Johannes Kepler - Astronomia nova 1609
  4. Johannes Kepler - Epitome Astronomiae Copernicanae  1615
  5. Johannes Kepler - Harmonices Mundi (The Harmony of the World) 1619-1621
  6. Francis Bacon - Novum Organum (Novum Organum Scientiarum) 1620
  7. Galileo Galilei - Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems 1632
  8. René Descartes - Discourse on the Method 1637
  9. Robert Boyle - The Sceptical Chymist 1661
  10. Issac Newton - Method of Fluxions 1671
  11. Gottfried Leibniz - Nova Methodus pro Maximis et Minimis 1684
  12. Issac Newton - Principia (Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica) 1687
  13. Issac Newton - Opticks 1704
Any significant others that i missed? I came across Christiaan Huygens & Blaise Pascal but unsure how they would fit in.