The Last Word

Bazza

Growing up near Denver, we got seven different stations on broadcast TV: channel 2 (independent), channel 4 (NBC), channel 5 (independent, out of Cheyenne), channel 6 (PBS), channel 7 (CBS), channel 9 (ABC), and channel 12 (PBS).  Later, Fox appeared on channel 31.

Two questions from The Little Mermaid:

1) Why does Ariel struggle with the word 'feet'? Lots of ocean creatures have feet--her babysitter Sebastian the crab, for example.

2) Why does Ursula think Ariel would know what a bridge is? When you can move fully in a three-dimensional environment, bridges are completely unnecessary. Where would Ariel have ever seen a bridge? For that matter, where would Ursula have seen one?

I think about things like this, you know.

Echinoderms (starfish) have sucker feet. Yes, different from vertebrates' feet, but definitely organs strongly adapted for motility on surfaces. (And other stuff, I admit.) Probably other sea critters too, but starfish would be important in this context.

Watched the James Burrows tribute special. To the unfamiliar he is well known as a sitcom director, having been involved with shows: Taxi, Cheers, Friends, Frasier, Mike & Molly, Will & Grace, and he directed the pilots of The Big Bang Theory. Overall he has directed 1000 sitcom episodes. 

But as those casts have come and gone, one feels nostalgic and wonders if it is worth investing in watching tv. 

ANd then i remember the following monologue from Frasier which was directed by James Burrows (it is at the end by Martin, Frasier's dad). 

Martin: Well, this couldn't have worked out any better for you, could it? You've been trying to get rid of that chair from the day I moved in here.

Frasier: Dad, you could at least show a little gratitude, I didn't do this for me, I did it for you.
Martin: Like hell! [gets beer]
Frasier: Geez, you're acting like I lost the chair on purpose.
Martin: Hey, let me tell you something. That chair was the only thing that made me feel comfortable in this house - that made me feel that maybe this was my home too.
Frasier: Oh, baloney! Ever since you got here all I've tried to do is make you comfortable. I don't even know why I bothered. I mean, everybody knows Martin Crane doesn't like calfskin, he prefers duct tape!

He seizes Martin's roll of tape, tears off a length and sticks it onto the new chair.

Frasier: And food crumbs! [throws bowl of nuts onto seat] There we are! [takes Martin's beer] And let's have a little dribble of beer while we're at it! [pours can over chair] Why not? There, that's delightful! Oh, and let's not forget - to top it all off - just the slightest bit of dog hair!

He picks up Eddie and gently shakes him over the chair.

Martin: I suppose you're going to be throwing Eddie out by the dumpster next!
Frasier: Oh Dad, I don't know why you're carrying on this way. We are, after all, talking about a twenty-five year-old, broken-down chair. If you don't like this chair, I'll get you another one. Any chair you want!
Martin: Really? Okay, I'll tell you what chair I want. I want the chair I was sitting in when I watched Neil Armstrong take his first step on the moon. And when the U.S. hockey team beat the Russians in the '80 Olympics. I want the chair I was sitting in the night you called me to tell me I had a grandson. I want the chair I was in all those nights, when your mother used to wake me up with a kiss after I'd fallen asleep in front of the television. You know, I still fall asleep in it. And every once in a while, when I wake up, I still expect your mother to be there, ready to lead me off to bed... Oh, never mind. It's only a chair. Come on, Eddie.

He exits.

Now it occurs to me that comics characters have a stability that tv characters don't have. Marvel's superheroes have been published since the 60s (for the most part) and DC has their's trio going back to the WW2. A person can reasonably be reading the same character's book(s) from childhood to well into adulthood. 

And Martin's speech above just emphasises the audiences relationship to this.