The Last Word

Bazza

About 20 years ago, in an on-line community that no longer exists, one member said that his retirement plan was to shoot himself on his 65th. I suggested that he behave even more obnoxiously than he usually did, and then raffle off the role of who'll do the shooting.

I'm partial to the cyanide capsule plan myself.

Hey Cancer have you by any chance read any of Erwin Schrodinger more philosophical works?

I'm thinking of buying (and not buying*) an anthology type book collecting his "Nature and the Greeks" and "Science and Humanism".

Any comments? 

*because...joke. 

Found out yesterday (from my son) that someone on these boards is also a part of an on-line community my son "lives in", and was profanely amazed and defiant-in-a-NFW-way at my son's assertion there that Cancer (here) was his dad. So he wants to post a screenshot of his login there and my login here side by side on the same box.

He didn't identify to me clearly which of the three or four communities he frequents was the one with the overlap.

The idea of infiltrating one of them in a clandestine way and building things up slowly over time to get to the analog of "Luke, *I* am your father" is more work and more geeky than even I want to do.

The more things change the more they stay the same. Or to phrase it using actual fragments from Heraclitus & Parmenides

The more ‘on those stepping into rivers staying the same other and other waters flow’ the more ‘that it is and that it is not possible not to be’. Yes that is how the fragments translate them. I can provide actual sources if you are interested. 

FYI

Astronomia Nova by Johannes Kepler

Second edition, completely revised, of the only English translation of Kepler's 1609 masterpiece. A work of astonishing originality, Astronomia Nova stands, with Copernicus's De Revolutionibus and Newton's Principia, as one of the founding texts of the scientific revolution. Kepler revolutionized astronomy by insisting that it be based upon physics rather than ideal geometrical models. Includes many new features, including a comprehensive index.

About the Translation

The first edition of this translation was published by Cambridge University Press in 1992, but has long been out of print. After Green Lion Press acquired the rights, Donahue completely revised the translation with the assistance of classicist Bruce M. Perry, and added much material, including a listing of Tycho Brahe's Mars observations and accounts of Kepler's use of them, as well as a comprehensive index, which was lacking in the Cambridge edition

http://www.greenlion.com/books/astronomianova.html

Also available is Johannes Kepler's Optics and titles by Michael Faraday & James Clerk Maxwell, amongst others