The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

And who do we blame for Lanthanum' date=' Platinum and Tantalum?.. :P[/quote']

Someone who can't spell ;) (kidding).

Reading wikipedia -ium and -um suffixes were common for naming elements hence both applied to aluminium. The international body decreed that "aluminium" it was, and three years later also approved and acknowledged the US spelling. So in a sense, both are right.

you do know my whole point of bringing the spelling of aluminium up was in jest, right (up thread, previous page)? Even Jony Ives, industrial designer at Apple pointed it out at Apple's commemoration to Steve Jobs that Steve Jobs laughed each time Jony said "aluminium". The relevant part of the speech:

[steve] was my closest and my most loyal friend. We worked together for nearly fifteen years. (And he still laughed at the way I say “aluminium”.)

You do know my whole point of bringing the spelling of aluminium up was in jest' date=' right (up thread, previous page)?[/quote']

Oh, most definitely. At least as much as my own! I was stationed in England for two years, and used to amuse both my British AND American friends (at the same time) with lengthy rants about how NEITHER culture spoke "proper English", while regularly word-napping terms from other languages... and mercilessly butchering them. :P

Oh' date=' most definitely. At least as much as my own! I was stationed in England for two years, and used to amuse both my British AND American friends (at the same time) with lengthy rants about how NEITHER culture spoke "proper English", while regularly word-napping terms from other languages... and mercilessly butchering them. :P[/quote']

Is there a definitive English Language? Yes! it goes by the nickname Fowlers. ;)

(I recently bought the book, so I could use the English language correctly...well i will when i read it)