The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

It was fun, though there were some funky bits to it. Designing magic spells was ... complex. Rules for designing pulp-era "super science" devices ... didn't really exist. Psionics were sort of broken in terms of the power creep issue. And it used a flat probability distribution (a d20, but it wasn't a "d20" system game).

But it did some things well, and IMO its social interaction rules were better than HERO's.

In the latest Bazza asks potentially stupid science question to Cancer ( :D ):

Is reality holographic ?

I am aware of David Bohm's theory, though not in great detail (I do have his book Wholeness and the Implicate Order), and also am aware that there is an independent theory not based on Bohm's.

I'm also aware of Karl Pilbrarm (sp) (sp) that the brain/memory has holonomic/holographic characteristics.

I am also aware of various Eastern assertions that reality is illusory (Maya) which potentially align with a holographic model of the universe.

Any pointers for further research?

I would have to read up and figure out what is meant by "holographic" in this context. I admit I have read none of the works you refer to (I've heard of them but never chased the writings), and I rather suspect they use that word in a sense that is importantly different from the way I use it (which is a strictly technical way, having to do with image storage via coherent light in sort of a Fourier transform format).

Late to this' date=' but BSD & AT&T Unix have the same root.[/quote']

Yep, but as I understand it, BSD was legally required to remove the AT&T code, thus we got 4.4BSD-Lite Release 2.

Historically, BSD has been considered a branch of UNIX—"BSD UNIX", because it shared the initial codebase and design with the original AT&T UNIX operating system.

[...]

Today, the term "BSD" is often non-specifically used to refer to any of these BSD descendants, e.g., FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD or DragonFly, which together form a branch of the family of Unix-like operating systems.

The exception being Mac OS X which is based on BSD Unix and is certified Unix, hense not 'Unix System-like'.

I think most of the Unix experience I had was with BSD 4.2 back in grad school.

I've had experience with around 20 different flavors. Most differences are fairly cosmetic, even if you throw Linux into the mix. AIX was the biggest problem to deal with early on, but even it was fairly easy to switch to. Most of the versions had contributions from a bunch of different companies, including Microsoft.

And yes, MAX OS-X is still Unix System like. It just happens to also be certified which is a smaller subset. So is AIX. Just means they pass the tests.

I've seen probably eight or so different versions, but most of those were as a pretty casual user-land fortran numbercruncher type. I think far and away my hours with BSD 4.2 still outnumber the sum of all the other versions' hours.

I've seen probably eight or so different versions' date=' but most of those were as a pretty casual user-land fortran numbercruncher type. I think far and away my hours with BSD 4.2 still outnumber the sum of all the other versions' hours.[/quote']

I used to build test labs with mixes of different flavors and versions.

I've had experience with around 20 different flavors. Most differences are fairly cosmetic, even if you throw Linux into the mix. AIX was the biggest problem to deal with early on, but even it was fairly easy to switch to. Most of the versions had contributions from a bunch of different companies, including Microsoft.

And yes, MAX OS-X [sic] is still Unix System like. It just happens to also be certified which is a smaller subset. So is AIX. Just means they pass the tests.

That certification process determines who can use the IP around the word "Unix"; you don't have it you cannot be authentic. Simple as that ;):P

I used to build test labs with mixes of different flavors and versions.

I was much more aware of differences among the fortran compilers and the numeric processing than the OS. I "grew up" doing fortran on a CDC machine with their glorious 60-bit word length. Having to drop back to 32-bit words was a flaming PITA, because it almost but not quite had enough floating-point precision to be useful without having to go to the much, much slower double precision math (so you had to do the arithmetic at least partly in software, not just in the hardware). At the time, they kept track of how much processing time you used and (sometimes literally) billed you for it, so you always hated having to do to double precision because of the d***ed hardware "upgrade" to the smaller-word machines.

That certification process determines who can use the IP around the word "Unix"; you don't have it you cannot be authentic. Simple as that ;):P

Yep. Let's you find most of the config stuff fairly easy and makes the marketing department happy. Other than that, no big deal. There are non-certified that are pretty close.

I was much more aware of differences among the fortran compilers and the numeric processing than the OS. I "grew up" doing fortran on a CDC machine with their glorious 60-bit word length. Having to drop back to 32-bit words was a flaming PITA' date=' because it almost but not quite had enough floating-point precision to be useful without having to go to the much, much slower double precision math (so you had to do the arithmetic at least partly in software, not just in the hardware). At the time, they kept track of how much processing time you used and (sometimes literally) billed you for it, so you always hated having to do to double precision because of the d***ed hardware "upgrade" to the smaller-word machines.[/quote']

Another job of mine consisted of pouring thru code to look for gotchas in 32-bit -> 64-bit Solaris.

Don't get hung up on scraps of paper' date=' that's all. Standards are good, but nothing to get too excited about.[/quote']

I was getting hung up by the IP and the (I'm sure) lawyers who would defend it. ;)

And yeah, from a technical point, ther isn't a lot of difference between FreeBSD and Mac OS X, one just paid the certification fee and passed.

Just a little heads-up that I'll be reducing my Board-time the next few days, until the last part of my move is done and I get an Internet hook-up. I will have access from the hospital, but I think I will be a bit preoccupied there. ^^

See ya.

Medicine stopped Cancer, who knew ;)

Guess, I've have to step into LM's role and be a slave to Cancer :D