The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

My dad was a sewing machine repairman for a time, and he kept my mom's machine in good order; the sight of him on the machine wasn't all that unusual. So I learned how to use it, made a couple of things, when I was 12-13.

Now, I rather suspect the devices have changed a lot since then and I'd be out of my depth if I were to sit down to one.

I had to read the user manual on mine. And then I STILL got it wrong!

Ah, well. All cleared up, now.

The basics are exactly the same. You thread the thingy, then the other thingy, then you put the fabric between the foot-thingy and the feeder thingy, and it pulls it through, and you back over it to reinforce the stitches. And you follow the line thingies to make sure you're sewing straight.

Neither my wife or I do any sewing (other than mending) these days, and I think I do more of that than she does ... I wear more garments with buttons, and I seem to keep too much junk in my pockets so I frequently have holes in those that need patching.

I KNOW I do more ironing than she does. When I need a shirt ironed for a special occasion, I do it. The kids watch in wonder when it happens.