Perks and Bases

GhostWing

I recently posted this question in the question section:

Is it possible to apply/add the Money perk to a base? In the two examples below, if the space and personnel are purchased with the base, can the money perk be added to have it generate income?

A.) Supervillain secret base is hidden in a city building (disguised) that has a drugstore at street level. The villains have paid points for the floor space as well as for the personnel to run the drugstore.

B.) Well known superhero group conducts weekly tours around their base and run a gift shop in a separate building on the grounds. The heroes have paid for the points for the base, grounds and gift shop area and pay points for personnel to conduct tours, work security and run the shop.

I would think that if a character paid a character point for the Money perk, that it can just as easily be applied to a base (in essence, the contributor is giving his income to the group). Of course, I might be missing something. Am I?

Obviously, this is subject to GM discretion, but it occurs to me bases do use some perks (particularly followers and computer link). These are perks that the heroes can only use at the base, but that they can share.

Guest Kolava

Re: Perks and Bases

It sort of depends on how accessible the perk is. Unless characters regularly call up contacts on the radio while out in the field, there is no reason to give them a discount for tyng the perk to the base.

I don't see how either of those situations would garner enough "income" to be worther of a Perk. It would make good on defining how the base covers it's operating costs though.

In any case, if all the money did was flow into the Base, allowing for the most expensive food, priceless objects de'arte and such, it's not worth points. If it's money the character that own the base can draw off of, then it's a Perk for those characters (along with Membership unless they paid for the base too).

I'd allow a base to have wealth or poverty, but only to represent the base's "lifestyle". A beautifully furnished base with luxurious rooms and a well stocked wine cellar and gourmet kitchen would have wealth, while a converted subway station with matresses on the floor and some frozen pizza's in a salvaged freezer would have poverty. The wealth perk is pretty cheap and when you divide it to get the cost of a base, it isn't a lot of points.

Personally, I have a very strong rule against "perk stacking". However, balancing this I usually have a completely seperate pool of points that group perks like bases, vehicle, contacts, and team money come out of. I find it's easier to manage, and means the players don't feel as attached to "stuff" since it doesn't come out of their individual points.

I think in some cases the perk could be applied to a base. For example, give the "wealth" perk to a base to simulate a foundation that not only oversees all it's needs, but is able to purchase new equipment or upgrade as appropriate, pay for permanent staff, etc...maybe even pay the resident heroes a monthly stipend. It would keep the PCs from having to deal with actual base finances.

You could give the base a contact to simulate the same thing, or just hand-wave it, but it's an idea.

And no, I wouldn't give it any sort of discount. I'd simply make it so the PCs could not draw upon the money for personal use (and yes, buying new foci would be a personal use).