Gate Stations

Sketchpad

I was contemplating some stuff for my space opera campaign that's been a bit on the backburner while I convert 3e to FH and thought I'd ask about Gate Stations.

For those that don't know, a gate station is man-made stargate that allows ships to enter hyperspace. These stations are manned and have docking services most of the time as well. To create the gate effect, though, would that be EDM Useable by Others?

Re: Gate Stations

I was contemplating some stuff for my space opera campaign that's been a bit on the backburner while I convert 3e to FH and thought I'd ask about Gate Stations.

For those that don't know, a gate station is man-made stargate that allows ships to enter hyperspace. These stations are manned and have docking services most of the time as well. To create the gate effect, though, would that be EDM Useable by Others?

Well, if they can interact with other ships within hyperspace than probably. Otherwise, I'd make it megascale T-port. (Hmm, FTL indirect?)

Are you looking for a B5 style hyperspace gate, where ships can interact and see each other, or are you looking for a direct path to the next gate?

The second type is discussed on pp. 193-4 of Star Hero

For the first, you could use EDM, but then you run into the limitation that you can't normally use it to move about in the real world. You could use the +5 adder to "any location in dimension" and link it that way, or you could make stl engines work as FTL (multipower slot?), but say that the ship has to be in hyperspace.

JoeG

Are you looking for a B5 style hyperspace gate, where ships can interact and see each other, or are you looking for a direct path to the next gate?

The second type is discussed on pp. 193-4 of Star Hero

For the first, you could use EDM, but then you run into the limitation that you can't normally use it to move about in the real world. You could use the +5 adder to "any location in dimension" and link it that way, or you could make stl engines work as FTL (multipower slot?), but say that the ship has to be in hyperspace.

JoeG

If I remember correctly, with the exception of some of the larger ships like the Agamemnon, ships can't really go anywhere they want to in the real world (were you to build it with Extra Dimensional Movement). You have to stay on the course of the hyperspace beacons, and if you don't, you get FUBARed. And since the normal gates tend to be protected by miltary powers, I really wouldn't build it with the +5 Adder, since the limits of where you can go are there. But the Agamemnon, being able to drop out of Hyperspace pretty much anywhere they want to, would have to pay for the Adder.

If I remember correctly' date=' with the exception of some of the larger ships like the Agamemnon, ships can't [i']really[/i] go anywhere they want to in the real world (were you to build it with Extra Dimensional Movement). You have to stay on the course of the hyperspace beacons, and if you don't, you get FUBARed. And since the normal gates tend to be protected by miltary powers, I really wouldn't build it with the +5 Adder, since the limits of where you can go are there. But the Agamemnon, being able to drop out of Hyperspace pretty much anywhere they want to, would have to pay for the Adder.

Yup, I was thinking of the cache of ships "off the beacon" that was accidentally discovered in one of the episodes. Basically, any ship capable of carrying a hyperdrive in B5 can exit hyperspace just about anywhere, while (typically smaller) ships have to follow the beam or risk getting lost. For HERO game mechanics, however, EDM isn't supposed to give advanced real-world movement unless the adder is included (basically, the argument is that it shouldn't be a cheap teleport) and the GM agrees. So, it breaks down to use the Adder, have each ship have a FTL only in hyperspace, or just declare that hyperspace just works a certain way. Say that distances in hyperspace correspond to the real world in a fixed ratio, and ignore the EDM limitations. This is probably how I would do it, with the Adder being used the way you mentioned.

JoeG