The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Not that it will help you now, but I got this white goop to put on my (low pitch rolled asphalt) roof to reflect heat and seal it against liquids. So far it works like a charm--haven't had any recurrences of the seepage leaks we were having, and temps in the house were down at least twenty degrees over the summer. Little spendy though.

Not that it will help you now' date=' but I got this white goop to put on my (low pitch rolled asphalt) roof to reflect heat and seal it against liquids. So far it works like a charm--haven't had any recurrences of the seepage leaks we were having, and temps in the house were down [i']at least[/i] twenty degrees over the summer. Little spendy though.

Alas, I am only a renter in my house, not the owner, so the house is not mine to do thing like that to it. The problem is that the leaks come through the balcony which is not properly drained: there is a slight rise right in front of the drain, and the surface is not sloped properly to make sure all the water goes towards that drain, anyway. Ergo, no matter how often the landlord patches the leaks, they will keep on happening until he gets the drainage issue fixed. And, yes, I pointed out the drainage issue to him the last time we had a major storms before, during, and after Irene blew through town.

My room is the one directly beneath the balcony. Ergo' date=' the aforementioned hole-drilling would only aggravate the [b']already[/b] aggravating issue of water leaking into my room. >.<

Well... at least you'd know exactly where the water would be coming in.

I found out today that an old friend, the mother of my College roommate, is in Intensive care. She lives alone, and it looks like she probably had a stroke. She was not discovered until her daughter called for a welfare check.

Last weekend, either friday or Saturday, I was thinking about her. "I haven't heard from her in a long time. I hope she is all right. Wade would let me know if anything happened to her, I'm sure..."

Premonition, poke from above, whatever, I did NOT follow up. Now I feel very guilty. she is 84 years old, and an absolute kick in the pants. Many is the time I have chatted with her in her kitchen for an hour or two.

Any prayers would be appreciated.

I found out today that an old friend, the mother of my College roommate, is in Intensive care. She lives alone, and it looks like she probably had a stroke. She was not discovered until her daughter called for a welfare check.

Last weekend, either friday or Saturday, I was thinking about her. "I haven't heard from her in a long time. I hope she is all right. Wade would let me know if anything happened to her, I'm sure..."

Premonition, poke from above, whatever, I did NOT follow up. Now I feel very guilty. she is 84 years old, and an absolute kick in the pants. Many is the time I have chatted with her in her kitchen for an hour or two.

Done. And I'll just say that I've been where you are, literally. Had much the same experience my with wife's grandmother... including the kinds of conversations, if not necessarily the location.

Done. And I'll just say that I've been where you are' date=' literally. Had much the same experience my with wife's grandmother... including the kinds of conversations, if not necessarily the location.[/quote']

And done. When I was just out of High School, my grandmother had a stroke and we thought that was going to be it. She recovered and lived for a few years after that, and we were grateful to have that "bonus time" with her ( a few years, anyway) before she really did pass.

Done. And I'll just say that I've been where you are' date=' literally. Had much the same experience my with wife's grandmother... including the kinds of conversations, if not necessarily the location.[/quote']

And done. When I was just out of High School' date=' my grandmother had a stroke and we thought that was going to be it. She recovered and lived for a few years after that, and we were grateful to have that "bonus time" with her ( a few years, anyway) before she really did pass.[/quote']

thanks guys. it seems she lay in her tub for 4-6 days...

a few things have pissed me off this week.

Radio news story about an Edmonton youth court judge who sentenced a 16 year old to 6 months home detention and supervision. For attacking a young woman, stomping on her head, crushing her eye socket, breaking her jaw, causing nerve damage in the face... Judge ruled that although Homophobia had a role in the attack, it was not a "Hate Crime". The young woman's mother broke down crying trying to describe her feelings, hoping her daughter could one day learn to forgive the puke... What is an appropriate sentence? as he apparently has shown no remorse, no respect for the court, the law, his parents, or anyone? I don't know. I have a suspicion, but my idea of Justice is not that of the Canadian Legal System.

Thank GOD ABOVE that such has never happened to one of my family members. I like to think I would be reasonable, but i FEAR I would not.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2011/09/06/edmonton-youth-sentencing-hearing-barry-attack.html

That's (light sentences for crimes) common in Canada's Injustice System. It's viewed as a joke here.

My sympathies; I have no surviving grandparents. :(

Doctor's appointment tomorrow. There's nothing wrong, aside from the chronic migraines I was diagnosed with 14 years ago. But the doctor's office wants a follow-up visit, my migraine medication prescription has no refills, so they're basically withholding my meds until I visit the office.

When you're trying to manage chronic pain, one of the things at the very top of the list of stuff you don't do is going off your meds. It's been two days now and I'm falling back on the 'emergency' prescription for sumitriptan, using waaay too much of it thanx very much, going into withdrawal as the last traces of topamirase disappear, and feeling... very strange.

Not to mention my *&^%$#@! head hurts.

I really could have done with sonme sleep but internal wind made sure I had to keep getting up and visiting the lavatory.

And my skin still won't heal up properly and the itch is insane.

Have you been snuggling Yog-Sothoth again? How many times have I told you?..

My sleep is lousy and I feel lousy. Got nothing done today. I have so much to do and none of it is getting done. I need my sleep mask but I'm still having trouble with it. If I don't learn to use it I'll be sleep-deprived indefinitely. As is I'm not good for anything. The choice seems to be: learn to sleep with my head in a vice or sleep for ten hours and still feel like I haven't slept at all, drag myself out of bed at noon or one in the afternoon and find it impossible to get moving. Is there a third choice ?