The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Well, after 30 years in academia, I still can't write exams where I know ahead of time how the students will do on it. Adherence to a pre-set numerical correspondence between fraction of points achieved and course grade is impossible in such a situation. So I curve to a specific overall average for the class, which is about a 2.8 on the customary 4.0 scale. I include people who drop in that average as F's. And, of course, I explain this up front on Day 1.

Now, the students are constrained. This class is required for a bunch of degree programs, and I am teaching all the sections of it this last term, so their options were take it from me or wait a quarter or two (but not three, because I'm on the board to do the same thing next winter quarter).

Well, after 30 years in academia, I still can't write exams where I know ahead of time how the students will do on it. Adherence to a pre-set numerical correspondence between fraction of points achieved and course grade is impossible in such a situation. So I curve to a specific overall average for the class, which is about a 2.8 on the customary 4.0 scale. I include people who drop in that average as F's. And, of course, I explain this up front on Day 1.

Now, the students are constrained. This class is required for a bunch of degree programs, and I am teaching all the sections of it this last term, so their options were take it from me or wait a quarter or two (but not three, because I'm on the board to do the same thing next winter quarter).

Maybe they need a "Cranky Cranks Thread". :)

They seem to be of the opinion that the course grades I am likely to give are unfair. The webforms are filled out with an email address which is a mash-up of "Be Fair" and something I haven't been able to parse yet.

Let us know if you need help parsing. ;)

I don't view you as unfair. I'd be more likely to suspect them of having overinflated opinions of their own work.

Having graded papers for college professors, I can second this.

Let us know if you need help parsing. ;)

I can parse fine. I can't write or edit to save my soul (*if I still had mine, that is) at the moment, even with three attempts, after which I just bailed.

On the up side, our out-of-town friends pushed their trip here back a week, so I get to sleep in on my own schedule for extra days. I need it.

Yeesh. A few minutes' more notice about power outages would be nice, guys.

EDIT: Heh. My box is fine, but the file share server isn't alive. Heck of a job, Brownie. With winter quarter course grades due in 22 hours minus, way to mess with a maximum number of people. Good thing my backup is a thumb drive.

Lately I've found that I just can't eat the same stuff I used to be able to eat. I always have to be aware of whether I can afford to go into some kind of food coma after I eat, to which the answer is almost always no. The worst thing I can do is to allow myself to get really hungry, because then I overcompensate and eat a month's worth of food in one sitting, and then coma.

Lately I've found that I just can't eat the same stuff I used to be able to eat. I always have to be aware of whether I can afford to go into some kind of food coma after I eat' date=' to which the answer is almost always no. The worst thing I can do is to allow myself to get really hungry, because then I overcompensate and eat a month's worth of food in one sitting, and then coma.[/quote']

I have a similar problem except that my IBS and GERD have gotten worse with age. So, while I would really love pizza and wings, I'll severely pay for it the next day. What makes this really tough is the regularity with which I am in the presence of gamer food. :(

Lately I've found that I just can't eat the same stuff I used to be able to eat. I always have to be aware of whether I can afford to go into some kind of food coma after I eat' date=' to which the answer is almost always no. The worst thing I can do is to allow myself to get really hungry, because then I overcompensate and eat a month's worth of food in one sitting, and then coma.[/quote']

Yeah, I can't go too long without eating or I get a headache that just won't quit.

Fortunately I'm not generally susceptible to food comas. :)

Yeah' date=' I can't go too long without eating or I get a headache that just won't quit.[/quote']

I only get headaches from lack of sleep. Hunger just makes me more cranky than usual. A lot more.

Fortunately I'm not generally susceptible to food comas. :)

Must be nice. Fortunately I don't have IBS or GERD yet, at least.

I only get headaches from lack of sleep. Hunger just makes me more cranky than usual. A lot more.

Oh, I get the cranky too. I get crankier, and my head feels like it is splitting open.

Must be nice. Fortunately I don't have IBS or GERD yet' date=' at least.[/quote']

Yeah. I don't get hung over either. :eg:

Must be nice. Fortunately I don't have IBS or GERD yet' date=' at least.[/quote']

Yet? I've had one since my late teens and the other since my late 20s. :idjit: On the plus side, I don't really eat enough to go into a food coma because of the likely side effects and it cuts down on my fat and grease intake. So, it's good for my cholesterol.

Godiva is calling me. I think it's because I'm conflicted about something I signed up to do this weekend. It's making me crazy and depressed.

Nothing can make you crazy. You hang out with us so you already are. :)