The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

My friend the reporter will tell you all about the toll mileage can take on a car if you ask her about hers. ;)

Well, a lot of it depends on what kind of car you've got. There is at least 1 Prius taxi in Canada that has over 200,000 miles on it, with no major work needed on it. Including no brake work, and still running on the original hybrid battery (I don't know if the 12V battery is original for sure, but I think so). 'Course things like that are probably why Toyota dealers were selling used 2004 and 2005 Priuses for just under (and just over in some cases) what a new 2006 would cost back when it was almost impossible to get a 2006. I only had to wait a couple of weeks for mine. Some people flew to different states to buy theirs.

I put more than 12,000 miles on mine in less than 3 months.

Jeez. And here I am' date=' putting on 3000 miles about every 5 months . . .[/quote']

I figure I'll be at about that level now. The 12,000 in 3 months was combined between living in Folsom and Keri living in Walnut Creek, and the two of is living in Concord and me still working in El Dorado Hills. For the first part, I was driving down (96 miles or so one way) at least 2 times a week to see her, and the second part was 96 miles one way to work 5 days a week. My current commute is bliss by comparison.

Have I told you guys about how I filled up the gas tank in my Integra last month and' date=' when I went to record the mileage, realized it was the first time I'd done so in 2006?[/quote']

Cool! Since changing jobs (10/09/06) I have yet to put more gas in the Prius. But then again, I drive it to the BART station every day, so I'll probably have to fill up again some time in December.

Yeah, I had a car with some goofy electrical problem that if I didn't drive it once a month, the battery would be dead when I did try driving it. Living in a place where I didn't need a car, and where parking spaces were appropriate reasons for knife fights, this was annoying. I did, in fact, eventually have to replace the battery.

I figure I'll be at about that level now. The 12' date='000 in 3 months was combined between living in Folsom and Keri living in Walnut Creek, and the two of is living in Concord and me still working in El Dorado Hills. For the first part, I was driving down (96 miles or so one way) at least 2 times a week to see her, and the second part was 96 miles one way to work 5 days a week. My current commute is bliss by comparison.[/quote']

Ah, but I'm doing so while driving myself to work and taking most of the joint trips Josh and I take to go shopping or out to eat in my car. Even driving to Wilmington and back in it didn't pile on that many miles.

Ah' date=' but I'm doing so while driving myself to work and taking most of the joint trips Josh and I take to go shopping or out to eat in my car. Even driving to Wilmington and back in it didn't pile on that many miles.[/quote']

Yeah, but how far away is Wilmington? :) I was putting 960 miles per week on my car, just driving to and from work.

And how often do you make the drive? 'Cause I was making the equivalent every three days or so. :)

Oh, only once. But every time we take a long car trip these days, we take my car. The only exception was when we moved (we shipped my car), and Dragon*Con 2005. Josh's car makes my knee ache to drive for more than an hour or two.

So we're generally racking up MORE miles on my car, which has less than 27,000 miles after four years.

Apparently I practice good trip consolidation habits. ^ v ^

Oh, only once. But every time we take a long car trip these days, we take my car. The only exception was when we moved (we shipped my car), and Dragon*Con 2005. Josh's car makes my knee ache to drive for more than an hour or two.

So we're generally racking up MORE miles on my car, which has less than 27,000 miles after four years.

Apparently I practice good trip consolidation habits. ^ v ^

:thumbup:

We'll probably end up using my car more for at least the longer trips that Keri and I take, considering it gets better mileage than hers. Though hers (a Toyota Matrix) does pretty well too. She also puts a fair number of miles on her car for her job.

^ v ^

I do have ulterior motives, though. I don't want to have to buy a new one anytime soon! So I keep up on the oil changes and other maintenance, try to drive it gently, and keep it pretty clean. And it's behaved itself pretty well, so this arrangement is working. So far.

Heh. I actually went so far as to pre-pay for the first 55,000 miles worth of maintenance on my Prius. To give myself some incentive to actually do it regularly. It has been working so far, though it helps that the Prius is such a well designed car to begin with.