The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

My aching back and sagging male tits say you're misinformed on the gender specific metabolic suckage....

True, true . . . but female metabolism tends to adjust more pickily to changes in diet, so that we have to work a LOT harder to actually lose weight. Just cutting calories isn't enough, because then our bodies will slow down and conserve energy to hold onto that precious fat. Ugh.

Not that that doesn't happen to some guys, as well, but the female metabolism is made to cling to the weight.

Exercise doesn't work, either, because then the body demands food and calories.

Well' date=' like I said, he was a newborn when he had jaundice. He is now a healthy and normal toddler, if by "normal" you mean "destructive".[/quote']

Our son had this once or twice. Modest exposure to UV ... sunlight ... clears it up. We even did the experiments, putting him naked on the blanket in the sun, with a ribbon over his midsection. After 15-20 minutes, you had a pink baby with a yellowish stripe across his belly.

Okay, I'm waiting for a package. I don't even hear the doorbell, but it seems someone came by and thought nobody was home. Now I have to wait for another day for the damn thing to be delivered.

Why does that make me so mad? This is my sister's birthday gift, which is on Saturday.

The rules of the board preclude me from expressing my frustration the way I really want to say it. :mad:

:confused: I've never had to pay UPS extra to knock. They always did and still do and didn't used to leave the package if no one was home. They used to leave a note telling you they'd be back the next day or Monday. But now-a-days they just leave it. Overnight Express does require a signature though.

That's a local or carrier-specific policy. Companywide, the official policy is that the knock is a "courtesy", and guaranteeing that it winds up in the hands of the person you're shipping something to costs extra.

I know because they changed this policy during a Christmas season a few years ago, and my roommates' Christmas presents were stolen off the front step in broad daylight while they were home, because the UPS guy couldn't be bothered to spend that three seconds on a knock on the door.

The problem is even if the guy rang the bell, it hardly works. And I was down in the basement, so of course, I didn't hear it.

And some idiot decided a signature was necessary (God knows I didn't choose that option), so the package wasn't left on the doorstep either. I've had that option removed, so it shouldn't be a problem.

The problem is even if the guy rang the bell, it hardly works. And I was down in the basement, so of course, I didn't hear it.

And some idiot decided a signature was necessary (God knows I didn't choose that option), so the package wasn't left on the doorstep either. I've had that option removed, so it shouldn't be a problem.

And this is why they don't bother to knock/ring. They've had too many problems like this, and the complaints of customers who didn't get their package timely is much greater than the complaints of customers who had osmething stolen, I strongly suspect.

So where did customer service go?

Don't even get me started. I spent something like 6 hours stuck in O'Hare Airport yesterday trying to get to Green Bay. 1pm flight was delayed until 3:30. Then when we finally went to board, I was told I didn't have a seat because the gate agent had somehow managed to un-book me. Then the 3:30 flight (delayed to 5:00) was cancelled too. The later flights were all full, and no guarantee they wouldn't be cancelled either. All this time, not so much as a "Sorry for the inconvenience" from United Airlines. Oh, and no idea where my baggage is because United "doesn't do retrievals."

Se we decide to rent a car and just drive to Green Bay, right? Except all the rental car places are sold out. There's a bus that can take us as far as Milwaukee, but being stuck in Milwaukee isn't exactly a huge improvement over being stuck in Chicago, right? Finally, one of my companions decodes the "no cars without a reservation" subtext, and calls AAA who reserve us a car.

Except there are six of us, and they're out of minivans; the best they can do is an SUV that seats...five. So I volunteer for the rumple seat and spend the next four hours in the back end of the SUV heading north in the rain. We finally get to Green Bay around 10pm, and amasingly my luggage has beaten me there -- although my five companions' bags are still in Chicago.

It was a long day.

Don't even get me started. I spent something like 6 hours stuck in O'Hare Airport yesterday trying to get to Green Bay. 1pm flight was delayed until 3:30. Then when we finally went to board, I was told I didn't have a seat because the gate agent had somehow managed to un-book me. Then the 3:30 flight (delayed to 5:00) was cancelled too. The later flights were all full, and no guarantee they wouldn't be cancelled either. All this time, not so much as a "Sorry for the inconvenience" from United Airlines. Oh, and no idea where my baggage is because United "doesn't do retrievals."

Se we decide to rent a car and just drive to Green Bay, right? Except all the rental car places are sold out. There's a bus that can take us as far as Milwaukee, but being stuck in Milwaukee isn't exactly a huge improvement over being stuck in Chicago, right? Finally, one of my companions decodes the "no cars without a reservation" subtext, and calls AAA who reserve us a car.

Except there are six of us, and they're out of minivans; the best they can do is an SUV that seats...five. So I volunteer for the rumple seat and spend the next four hours in the back end of the SUV heading north in the rain. We finally get to Green Bay around 10pm, and amasingly my luggage has beaten me there -- although my five companions' bags are still in Chicago.

It was a long day.

If you have a valid ticket and did not miss the plane from your own fault and they were not delayed due to an "act of god", you have the RIGHT to demand they pay for you to get a flight on another airline. However, they have zero obligation to actually make those arrangements for you. You have to call the other airlines (they won't help you at the gate, you'd have to go out to ticketing and stand in each line, so it's easiest to call each airline and talk to them one at a time), and if they have an opening, the original airline that screwed up MUST make accomodations with the airline with the opening.

I know, I've heard this before, and then tried it out in real life a couple years ago. It worked exactly as described. I was delayed on a flight to Atlanta that was hooking up to another in Portland. United was all screwed up, the plane had a mechanical problem or such, so we were going to be so late we'd miss the Atlanta flight. I got a flight on another airline from Atlanta to Los Vegas to Portland as described above. The Los Angeles connection was really tight, so I missed that flight, but given all things going on, I still got home earlier on the next day. And as I missed that flight simply due to a missed connection (the incoming flight was late enough the connection wasn't possible), of course there were no issues for the other airline to get me a flight from LV to PDX. My big goals were 2-fold: not get stuck in Atlanta overnight (I hate that city) and if necessary get stuck in LV since it's open 24 hours and I'm a night person; and be at least close enough to home that the last leg would be a short jump that had plenty of flights instead of a basically cross-continental flight where flights are rarer and longer and there's still therefore more risk of not making it.

My coworkers are now renting cars and making borderline-insane road trips to get where they need to go, just to avoid the torture* that is modern airline travel.

*Torture in the colloquial sense, as opposed to how it is defined by Geneva or various government departments.

I think it really is deliberate' date=' but I couldn't tell you why. I still curse the people who told me what to put in my trip-to-the-hospital-to-have-a-baby overnight bag, because they didn't mention anything about a parka or three days' worth of food.[/quote']Amen on the Parka. Every time I spent the night with jaundice babies to give the wife a night of, I left the hospital sneezing and shivering.

I hope everything is OK, Old Man. Two jaundiced premies out of three kids and they are fine young hellions now, so you should be cool.