The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I admit it's my experience that staplers are so commonly defective ... more than half of them as they emerge from the shipping carton ... that the best way to get a working stapler is to swipe one off someone else's desk. And if the office supplies are guarded and tracked by a battleaxe-class office manager, stealing one is really the only viable method of getting one that works. Otherwise you get stuck with piece of junk that Battleaxe forces you to keep.

Heh. Actually, I'm the office supply ordering person. That IS in my job description. ;)

I have a regular stapler in my office. It works perfectly, except on packets of more than 20 pages. For that I need the high-capacity stapler. Which is NEVER working right.

I've asked if it's okay to just get a new one, but I've been told no, this one still works fine, by the people who approve the money stuff.

I get $20 off my next office supply order of $100 or more. I think I'll just slip that in there with this order.

I feel your pain' date=' girlfriend. ;) Aside from our [i']actual[/i] secretary, I'm the only person here who can be bothered to wipe out the microwave after their lunch exploded all over it, let alone replace empty water cooler bottles.

Ah, yes, the break room disaster. For a while there, we had an announcement EVERY morning meeting to the tune of, "Wash your dishes and clean up after yourselves." Now we have amusing little signs all over, which STILL don't do the trick.

I don't mind that as much as the fact that they keep drinking the juice I leave in there so I don't have to schlep it back and forth, and they finished it off this weekend. I'm tempted to leave a sign on the fridge that reads, "For those drinking my apple juice: I've been drinking straight from the bottle, and I backwash."

I don't mind that as much as the fact that they keep drinking the juice I leave in there so I don't have to schlep it back and forth, and they finished it off this weekend. I'm tempted to leave a sign on the fridge that reads, "For those drinking my apple juice: I've been drinking straight from the bottle, and I backwash."

Time to add Castor Oil inot it and wait.:sneaky:

I don't mind that as much as the fact that they keep drinking the juice I leave in there so I don't have to schlep it back and forth' date=' and they finished it off this weekend. I'm tempted to leave a sign on the fridge that reads, "For those drinking my apple juice: I've been drinking straight from the bottle, and I backwash."[/quote']

Leave a partial bottle, spiked with something unpleasant. Ipecac perhaps.

But why waste perfectly good juice? I think I'm just going to have the first drink straight from the bottle, so it's not a TOTAL bluff.

(Drinking straight from the bottle would also be a waste, because eventually, I'd spill half the bottle down my front. I'm talented like that.)

True story:

When my Grandma was a young girl, someone at her school was stealing the pie and other deserts out of the kids lunch pail. My grandmother was a favorite target.

After a while of this, my Great grandpa decided to fix the problem. One day he told my grandma NOT to eat her pie if it wasnot stolen. Well it ended up being stolen sometime before lunch. By the end of lunch, a girl was on one end of the school porch, with it comingout both ends.

My Grandpa had laced the pie with about a cup of Castor Oil, and enough sugar to mask the flavor. After that the girl never stole another desert again.

BTW this was pre 1900. In a one room school house.

Ah' date=' yes, the break room disaster. For a while there, we had an announcement EVERY morning meeting to the tune of, "Wash your dishes and clean up after yourselves." Now we have amusing little signs all over, which STILL don't do the trick.[/quote']

Don't even get me started about the men's room at my last workplace. :idjit:

After a while of this' date=' my Great grandpa decided to fix the problem. One day he told my grandma NOT to eat her pie if it wasnot stolen. Well it ended up being stolen sometime before lunch. By the end of lunch, a girl was on one end of the school porch, with it comingout both ends.[/quote']

If that's too severe for you, there's an over-the-counter pharmacy product, can't quite remember the name, used for urinary tract infections IIRC, quite harmelss...but the side effect is it turns your urine BRIGHT ORANGE! :sneaky:

I admit it's my experience that staplers are so commonly defective ... more than half of them as they emerge from the shipping carton ... that the best way to get a working stapler is to swipe one off someone else's desk. And if the office supplies are guarded and tracked by a battleaxe-class office manager' date=' stealing one is really the [i']only[/i] viable method of getting one that works. Otherwise you get stuck with piece of junk that Battleaxe forces you to keep.

That's why I still have my stapler from when I first started at my company, going on 19 years shortly. It was bought long enough ago that back then staplers were STAPLERS, made of metal, not all plastic (sure, there's some plastic on it, but it's hard plastic, and the thing has lasted this whole time).

My brand new dishwasher lost 2 screws, stopped working, and won't stay in its cubbyhole. Naturally this happened well after 5:00 so I can't call maintenance until 10:00 tomorrow. Meanwhile I have to hand wash all the dishes. :mad: Thank God we have some paper plates and bowls ! Usually this kind of thing happens Friday after 5:00 so you have to wait till Monday morning to call- and they may not get to you till Tuesday morning. :thumbdown

That's why I still have my stapler from when I first started at my company' date=' going on 19 years shortly. It was bought long enough ago that back then staplers were STAPLERS, made of metal, not all plastic (sure, there's some plastic on it, but it's hard plastic, and the thing has lasted this whole time).[/quote']

shades of Milton all over that . . .

is it a Swingline? :D

If that's too severe for you, there's an over-the-counter pharmacy product, can't quite remember the name, used for urinary tract infections IIRC, quite harmelss...but the side effect is it turns your urine BRIGHT ORANGE! :sneaky:

A friend tells me the name of the product is Cystex. Also, it is apparently kept near the condoms and early pregnancy tests.

Leave a partial bottle' date=' spiked with something unpleasant. Ipecac perhaps.[/quote']

The Ipecac has my vote. :)

But in my opinion were a hell to exist, there would need to be a special place in it reserved for the slimeball theives that steal other people's food at work.

I'd also be tempted to put in a requisition to management for a personal fridge to put in my work area, with a justification that people are stealing my food from the common area one. It won't likely get approved, but it might get something done about the thievery.

I banged my knee on a rail getting down from the bus today. Normally, I'd shrug it off, but my knees have been bothering me for the last few weeks (I think it's old age setting in). And it seems I'm having trouble with my peripheral vision and didn't see the rail.

Ah, yes, the break room disaster. For a while there, we had an announcement EVERY morning meeting to the tune of, "Wash your dishes and clean up after yourselves." Now we have amusing little signs all over, which STILL don't do the trick.

Greater sacrifices have been made in the name of revenge. :hush:

Put vodka in it... :eg: :eg: :D

Gillian didn't win the Emmy for playing Lady Dedlock in Bleak House.

So the programme lost out in all the acting catagories so that is something.

And the opposition was tougher and Helen Mirren is quality opposition.

But she still lost.

And I had hope.

Oh to the devil with it ! Time to go giant size and flatten Chicago !

My brand new dishwasher lost 2 screws' date=' stopped working, and won't stay in its cubbyhole. Naturally this happened well after 5:00 so I can't call maintenance until 10:00 tomorrow. Meanwhile I have to hand wash all the dishes. :mad: Thank God we have some paper plates and bowls ! Usually this kind of thing happens Friday after 5:00 so you have to wait till Monday morning to call- and they may not get to you till Tuesday morning. :thumbdown[/quote']

Josh and I haven't had a dishwasher in over a year. Would that I had your problem. Our dishes are piling up, bad, and we need to clear them out before we leave for Dragon*Con, lest we come back to a colony of insects invading our kitchen.

What's a dishwasher?

I recall there was a poll of kids aged 10-16 or so back around 1970 where the leading answer to "Why did your parents have children?" was "So they'd have someone else to wash the dishes."