The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

My new computer seems to hate me.

Its a lot of stupid little issues.

IT took all day to finally update DAOC for my wife.

My new mp3/jump drive hates this computer and wont load up.

I had to get drivers that I was sure I installed, but didnt show up.

Its a mess, but I am slowly getting beat into shape.

My music computer is acting really whacky, it keeps freezing up for many seconds to possibly 2 minutes (haven't really timed it) when doing simple tasks. It still records okay, without interruption, it seems to be something more in the OS. It reports no viruses, no spyware, no adware that seems to be causing it. It's an old ME machine that I haven't upgraded because the recording software is old and unsupported above that, though a hack exists for 2K/XP, though it's not reliable. I am getting ready to do a dual boot option until I can get everything onto XP. And have to upgrade the regular machine we both use as that's just been a while since it's been reloaded (and many, many years since a fresh install) so it's just a tad wonky.

Anyway, good luck.

My music computer is acting really whacky, it keeps freezing up for many seconds to possibly 2 minutes (haven't really timed it) when doing simple tasks. It still records okay, without interruption, it seems to be something more in the OS. It reports no viruses, no spyware, no adware that seems to be causing it. It's an old ME machine that I haven't upgraded because the recording software is old and unsupported above that, though a hack exists for 2K/XP, though it's not reliable. I am getting ready to do a dual boot option until I can get everything onto XP. And have to upgrade the regular machine we both use as that's just been a while since it's been reloaded (and many, many years since a fresh install) so it's just a tad wonky.

Anyway, good luck.

I did hear that Microsoft has released Virtual PC (for Windows, XP I think) for free. Could you "emulate" the ME evironment as a VM? If the app plas up, just reboot the VM/VPC app.

Just throwing out an option to consider. The news article I read is here: http://blogs.msdn.com/mikekol/archive/2006/07/12/662511.aspx

edit: Download page/System Requirements for VPC, Supported Guest OSs

No idea' date=' interesting idea. I was going to look also into running MacOS as well since that runs on Intel (I have AMD but I think that's not prohibitive). Thanks much.[/quote']

No worries. I'm sure you know that if you are thinking of running Mac OS X you need Apple hardware.

One advantage possibly it that it will run the Logic music software which I recall you using. I know that both Logic Pro and Logic Express are 'universal' (Apple terminology that software will work at top speed on Intel or PowerPC Macs). Logic Express is a prosumer version of Logic Pro. If your considering an Intel Mac you may also want to consider Logic, but do your own research etc. :)

No worries. I'm sure you know that if you are thinking of running Mac OS X you need Apple hardware.

One advantage possibly it that it will run the Logic music software which I recall you using. I know that both Logic Pro and Logic Express are 'universal' (Apple terminology that software will work at top speed on Intel or PowerPC Macs). Logic Express is a prosumer version of Logic Pro. If your considering an Intel Mac you may also want to consider Logic, but do your own research etc. :)

Ah, I wasn't sure if one absolutely had to use Apple hardware or if there was a decent workaround, given it's really on a UNIX core anyway now. I may look into emulation alternatives. Thanks for the note. Re Logic, good memory, I haven't used it in some time as I haven't done any MIDI sequencing stuff and the PARIS hardware/software combo is my audio recording gear, but I have considered whether to upgrade again someday to a Mac Logic version - though I'm still really upset with Apple not just for offering an absolutely lousy deal with moving Logic to Mac only (at first they were going to require Windows users to completely rebuy the software (!!!!) and then they offered a poor crossgrade option) but also for killing SoundDiver, a great tool.

Cancer struggles with his language to avoid being flagged by a moderator for inappropriate words.

There exists a proprietary language called Gauss. It has an archaic yet execrably inconsistent syntax style and a suite of error messages that, I can say with the assurance of One Who Knows Whereof He Speaks, would have been considered unusually obscure and perversely unhelpful even in the mid-1970's. One assembler I had to use in 1977 was a bit more straightforward in explaining out the semantic issues it had with in one's code, even accounting for the occasional necessity of stepping through one instruction at a time with the front panel switches and reading the bits on the display despite the lamp for the 3rd-least-significant bit being burned out.

I am given to understand that economicists like Gauss. To my mind, this qualifies them for placement in the same irrational and morally suspect category as suicide bombers, cattle mutilators, and smugglers of kidnapped children for use in "white slavery" brothels. That is, however, a distinct step up from the bin into which the promulgators of the language must be put.

Ah' date=' I wasn't sure if one absolutely had to use Apple hardware or if there was a decent workaround, given it's really on a UNIX core anyway now. I may look into emulation alternatives. Thanks for the note. [/quote'] No probs.

Re Logic, good memory...though I'm still really upset with Apple not just for offering an absolutely lousy deal with moving Logic to Mac only (at first they were going to require Windows users to completely rebuy the software (!!!!) and then they offered a poor crossgrade option) but also for killing SoundDiver, a great tool.
You see Apple makes it's profit by selling hardware and to Apple software is just a way to sell hardware. That is why Mac OS X will never be available for generic or OEM hardware. Amd I can understand your feelings with how lousy the "transistion" was with Logic -- i'd be pissed off too. And if it is any consolation (?) Apple did the same thing to Shake -- made it Mac only (IIRC).

No probs.

You see Apple makes it's profit by selling hardware and to Apple software is just a way to sell hardware. That is why Mac OS X will never be available for generic or OEM hardware. Amd I can understand your feelings with how lousy the "transistion" was with Logic -- i'd be pissed off too. And if it is any consolation (?) Apple did the same thing to Shake -- made it Mac only (IIRC).

The problem was, they discontinued SoundDiver completely,I don't mean on Windows (which they did right away when purchasing E-magic, basically), but on Mac as well. With Logic, the big annoyance was they offered zero discount on the hardware - which was a big opportunity, even if with a small audience, to make inroads.

Half the posts on my flist on livejournal are about death and disease. A friend's cat has FeLV, another friend attended a funeral where the weather was clear, threatening raining ash (the aunt scattered the ashes BEFORE the service, thank goodness), other people just returned from funerals . . .

And it has me thinking about how much I'd miss my loved ones if, God forbid, something happened to them. :(

The life of a self employed artisan.

Someone I considered a friend asked if I could make him a leather kilt and g-string for his debut cage dancing at a SF rivethead/Industrial dance club last thursday (It was kilt night). I needed to make a supply run to a leather wholesaler in the City anyway, so I agreed. He proceeded to use weird internet doublespeak ALL freaking day to confound the issue, refusing to answer any of my(fairly simple) questions about the details of ther project. I gave up, made my supply run, and didn't deliver the goods. At my current MPG and local gas prices, the round trip to SF runs me around $18. When I got home, his SO finally contacted my partner, and cleared up the details. After some begging, I agreed to deliver the stuff to the club. Got home from my second SF Round trip, called in the charge to my creedit company, and theircard was declined. OI then spent the next couple of dayts trying to get in touch with them about alternative payment options. I was ticked, but still remained polite and respectful, addressing various options. I get testy when I'm owed a couple hundred bucks and don't have enough actual money to buy a pack of smokes.

I was ignored.

Finally, He sends back an email full of venom informing me that I am no longer his friend, he is putting me on Ignore, and telling me that if I was half a man I'd have "my c*nt" pay him back the $40 that his GF loaned mine...an arraingment that the two of them had already worked out.

After the "friend" last year who skipped town owing me $400 for the full outfit I made for him (custom pants, bracers, mask, and two vests), I am never again gonna trust a friend with any sort of special considerations.

Half down, remainder at completion, and no free shipping/delivery.

After the "friend" last year who skipped town owing me $400 for the full outfit I made for him (custom pants, bracers, mask, and two vests), I am never again gonna trust a friend with any sort of special considerations.

Half down, remainder at completion, and no free shipping/delivery.

Best policy.

Personally when I deal with friends who have a business I treat it like a business, they'll still be my friend when they step to the other side of the register.

Sigh, the truck refused to start last night. Some flaky electrical contact somewhere between key switch and the solenoid. Of course, this effect cannot be reproduced in the presence of someone with the skills to fix it.