The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I used to love hot weather' date=' now I don't.[/quote']

Ditto. = v =

We ran the AC while we slept last night, so that we COULD sleep. When I woke up this morning, our windows were coated with condensation. I took pictures so I'd have photographic evidence of how frickin' muggy it is.

Ditto. = v =

We ran the AC while we slept last night, so that we COULD sleep. When I woke up this morning, our windows were coated with condensation. I took pictures so I'd have photographic evidence of how frickin' muggy it is.

I sleep with the air-con on all year round. I'm just used to it, and it blocks out background noise.

I'm not feeling too bad this morning' date=' but on my way to the restroom one of my co-workers was in her office chant-hissing "Sh*t. Sh*t. Sh*t. Sh*t. ...." I didn't stop to ask.[/quote']

Well, you were on the way to the bathroom. Maybe she was just trying to motivate you? Y'know, show her support? :D

So the company CEO just sent a long email to the whole company detailing the progress in the corporate office remodel. The tile is in, the cherry floors go in next week, dishwasher, massage chair, etc., etc. What is it about executives that makes them so totally insensitive? Does this guy not realize that the majority of the people in the company work in ****ty commercial areas, or out of their homes, and will likely never see the custom etched glass entryway?

On top of that he concludes with "I expect that employees will want to stay in this beautiful new office 24x7, and that productivity will triple." **** off, man.

What is it about executives that makes them so totally insensitive?

They're executives.

My departments remodel was approved 7 months ago. Nothing has been even ordered yet. Several other departments have started, been approved and finished both remodels and relocations in that time alone. My managment needs to f- off and die.

Cranky?

I'm currently living in a 20foot container remodelled as a bedroom with toilet & shower, in Siberia. We're 280kM from anything resembling a village in the middle of Taiga that, I think, first saw humans when our survey crew arrived. We get here by helicopter, stay for 2 weeks and then chopper out to where we can get a light aircraft to Tyumen and then a Tu154 to Moscow. We use the mobile satelite link to do all our work, communicate and stay in touch with families.

Unfortunatley the water pump on our temporary well broke yesterday and my mechanical man won't be able to fix it till tomorrow when the supply chopper arrives. So showers, laundry etc, are not on our list of activities. We take water from the river, boil the heck out of it and drink that. We know we can drink it as it is, there's a village about 280kM down stream that does fine, but we can't take the 5 days of diarhea that would result as we change out stomach bacteria.

So, cranky? I can do that!

my front door. specifically the lock which stopped working and then ate my key yesterday. So I go to get a new deadbolt to replace it.

When I take apart the old mechanism I find it's one of those f-ing ancient things where the lock, knob and everything is one giant unit. I think Columbus brought it over when he first arrived.

So I got back and get a knob/deadbolt combo but the door has so many friggin holes in random places from the previous mechanism that I really don't know WHERE to begin. No what I do there will be ugly all over this f-ing thing.

I get the deadbolt in finally.. sort of. Becuase the old mechanism was a large single piece i can't secure the bolt portion to the door because there's NO DOOR anywhere near it. Just a very very large rectangular hole. Lovely.

I haven't installed the door knob yet as I'm still contemplating exactly how to drill out the holes with minimal ugly. Not that i have a lot of options.

Either way, because of how/where the bolt hole in the frame is, the deadbolt will be under the door knob, making for fun times.

I hate old houses. I really really really hate them. There should be a government subsidized program where when a house gets 50 years or older it is TORN DOWN and replaced with modern items. Because the 100 years of slapped together sh-t and cramemd in plumbing, electricity and parts is a nightmare.

Oh, and the walls are lathe and plaster - I don't think there's a single vertical stud anywhere in this chunk of crap.

I hate my house.

my front door. specifically the lock which stopped working and then ate my key yesterday. So I go to get a new deadbolt to replace it.

When I take apart the old mechanism I find it's one of those f-ing ancient things where the lock, knob and everything is one giant unit. I think Columbus brought it over when he first arrived.

So I got back and get a knob/deadbolt combo but the door has so many friggin holes in random places from the previous mechanism that I really don't know WHERE to begin. No what I do there will be ugly all over this f-ing thing.

I get the deadbolt in finally.. sort of. Becuase the old mechanism was a large single piece i can't secure the bolt portion to the door because there's NO DOOR anywhere near it. Just a very very large rectangular hole. Lovely.

I haven't installed the door knob yet as I'm still contemplating exactly how to drill out the holes with minimal ugly. Not that i have a lot of options.

Either way, because of how/where the bolt hole in the frame is, the deadbolt will be under the door knob, making for fun times.

I hate old houses. I really really really hate them. There should be a government subsidized program where when a house gets 50 years or older it is TORN DOWN and replaced with modern items. Because the 100 years of slapped together sh-t and cramemd in plumbing, electricity and parts is a nightmare.

Oh, and the walls are lathe and plaster - I don't think there's a single vertical stud anywhere in this chunk of crap.

I hate my house.

At least you HAVE a house! :mad:

My new computer seems to hate me.

Its a lot of stupid little issues.

IT took all day to finally update DAOC for my wife.

My new mp3/jump drive hates this computer and wont load up.

I had to get drivers that I was sure I installed, but didnt show up.

Its a mess, but I am slowly getting beat into shape.

Might it be easier & cheaper to replace the door in toto? Or is it nonstandard size?

new lock $60

labor $0, few hours

New Door: start at $400, assuming it is a standard sized wide entrance door. Which it probably won't be with this house. Nothing is standard around here. Lovely Victorian that it is.

Most likely price of a new door, assuming I don't install it all by myself: ~1,000.

I need a new door frame as well at this point, might as well.

new lock $60

labor $0, few hours

You're a better man than I. To that, I would probably deduct an hour or two of labor and add

Emergency Room bill, after injuring myself with power tools: $550

You're a better man than I. To that, I would probably deduct an hour or two of labor and add

Emergency Room bill, after injuring myself with power tools: $550

Ah well, I've worked enough random handyman jobs to know that door locks are moderately easy to replace, in a fresh door. Only slightly more difficult if you're working with random sets of holes from the previous lock of a different style. . .