The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

At the rate I'm going' date=' I'm going to need new, bigger clothes soon. :mad: Just for today, I will not eat sugar. No cake, no cookies, no poptarts, no fudge. I'm going to try the one day at a time thing. :o[/quote']

You're going to have to exercise too. Sorry, that's just the way it is. But for what it's worth, you'll feel better. Trust me.

Class tomorrow, then test for my purple belt Thurs. night. I might have gone to class tonight, but my Mother-In-Law approached me with her sweet smile and Bullwhip and I am going to a Poetry Reading tonight. She will be one of the readers. The only part I dread is if W. reads; their resident Vogon. She seems to think her depression and personal problems are Epic Poetry. :idjit:

Hopefully this time my Mother-In-Law won't accidently set her programme on fire.

Class tomorrow' date=' then test for my purple belt Thurs. night. I might have gone to class tonight, but my Mother-In-Law approached me with her sweet smile and Bullwhip and I am going to a Poetry Reading tonight. She will be one of the readers. The only part I dread is if W. reads; their resident Vogon. She seems to think her depression and personal problems are Epic Poetry. :idjit: [/quote']

And there you have my argument against poetry. It's why I couldn't be an English major.

Hopefully this time my Mother-In-Law won't accidently set her programme on fire.

:nonp: Umm...what? Please tell me you're going to stop there.

At least that's one way to liven up a poetry reading... :sneaky:

Well, I survived the Poetry Night. No W. and they didn't light the candles. Thanks for all your encouragement, folks. Since this is the Cranky Thread, I'll only post the results here if I fail. If I pass I'll post it on the Nice, Happy Thread.

TTFN !

P.S. Please from now on refer to my Mom-in Law as Mama OddHat.

So I have a new job duty, which involves accounting for all of the financials at all of our locations within the company. This requires using a program to take over their terminals long enough to retrieve the information, printing it out on a local printer, checking it for certain flags, then updating it.

This morning, someone else was in the system for one location, and the other location was running a process which takes a long time to run and which locks you out of all other processes.

It took me three hours just to get IN to their terminals to print off the information, and then the numbers were all wacky for one of them, and even my boss couldn't figure it out. Eventually, I got some other numbers to check, and THOSE matched up, and we figured out what happened.

All this is a really long, really convoluted way of saying: STILL underpaid for what I do, now even more so. And as if that isn't insulting enough, they have to make it even MORE difficult.

I have had two managers spend two weeks solid doing the project schedule for the remaining two months of the project. The result: there is still going to be some project left over when the time expires. Just to be sure this will occur, I will get two untrained people to "help" me with my job. The managers know full well that (a) they will be slower than me and (B) I will have to devote all my time to supporting them.

And I'm in the same boat as Alice - I'm getting paid "worker" rates (barely) to do "manager" duties. And I had to kick up a stink to get up to my current underpaid level. One of said managers told me that my job wouldn't change at all when the Test Manager left two months back, and I knew I would have to take on his role. Fortunately I had the leverage of my contract expiring well before the project end date, and made it clear I would only accept an extension at a higher rate of pay (why would I stay and be underpaid when I could leave without prejudice and easily get market rates elsewhere?). But he knew full well exactly how my responsibilities would increase, and the other day actually introduced me as "the project Test Manager". So much for "your job won't change"!!

The countdown begins: 44 days to go....

Well, I ****ed up and failed to scrutinize the parts list closely, so it turns out that the thing runs on 30A 240V power with an L6-30P twist-lock plug... not the kind of thing you can just plug into a wall socket. So we have wasted one of the two days we had available to set up this demo running around finding out if the hotel was going to be able to provide power, and running to Home Depot to get the parts to make an adapter so we can plug it into the L6-20 sockets we have here. Once the adapters are made, we will plug the thing in, cross our fingers, and see if we trip the breakers or set fire to the building. Who says IT is boring?