The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

That depends on the Data Center ... ours houses more than just silly Exchange Servers though. I don't know any of the root passwords but I go in there for different reasons.

Hence the :D;)

Oh, and routers != Exchange Servers. And Exchange runs on Windows, which doesn't have a root account in the first place. Minor details... :eg:

Hence the :D;)

Oh, and routers != Exchange Servers. And Exchange runs on Windows, which doesn't have a root account in the first place. Minor details... :eg:

yea yeah.. the network and server group can go that way... the equipment I work with has more blinky lights and therefore looks cooler anyway :D

yea yeah.. the network and server group can go that way... the equipment I work with has more blinky lights and therefore looks cooler anyway :D

Heh. I've pretty much worked with it all. Phone systems tend to have the most blinkinlightzen on them in my experience, but the big blade servers are pretty cool too. I really liked the tape robot we had in one center. Moving parts AND cool lasers. :D

Heh. I've pretty much worked with it all. Phone systems tend to have the most blinkinlightzen on them in my experience' date=' but the big blade servers are pretty cool too. I really liked the tape robot we had in one center. Moving parts AND cool lasers. :D[/quote']

Ok, yeah the tape backup systems we use for DoD compliance are damn neat.

Receiver equipment outdoes phone system blinkinlightzen, it's just amazing the number of little blinky things we have in some parts of the center.

You're a very damaged human being.

What was your phone number again - I need to program one of our dialer systems to call you every ten minutes.

At one time I kept the number of the local Secret Service office memorized so I could rattle it off the top of my head for occasions exactly like this. :D

back to cranky!

I thought I lost a filling in my rear upper molar(15) over the weekend. In addition, I have been having pain a couple teeth ahead of it for a long time. In '03, I had a root canal on the tooth in front of the rear molar(14).

It turned out that I had broken off the back surface of the molar. They reconstructed it, kind of like a partial crown. Pretty cool. ONLY $230 after insurance... :( (I had to replace 4 tires on the Trooper last week, and today is house payment day, so...)

Unfortunately when the took the x-ray of tooth 15, they found out why I have been having trouble. There is an abscess on the root of tooth 14. The docs figure that I am one of the roughly 10% of the population that have a secondary nerve, so 4 nerves in three roots. The 4th nerve was missed, and so...

After insurance it is about $544. They will go in below the gum... and basically cut off the tip of the root, clean out the dead nerve, and fill the holes they make in the process.

Now I have to find a bunch MORE money that I don't have, and the Baby is due 2 months from today!

The only good thing is that the abscess is apparently draining into my sinuses, and that is almost certainly why I have had chronic sinus problems on that side and in that area.

The weird thing is, until they worked on 15, 14 was NOT temperature sensitive. Now it is. :(

Gah. I belong to that same 10% of the population, though I found it out in a less-expensive way. When I last had a filling replaced a couple of years ago (nothing near as traumatic as yours), the dentist numbed me up and started to work ... and I was in real pain. When he realized I was squirming, he backed off and hit me with another shot when he explained the problem. After that, no pain for me.

I do understand now, though, why I had such a problem when I had that tooth worked on back in my teens. I figured it was "just" the Army dentist....

You have it backwards. In my experience' date=' it is the packages clearly labeled 'fragile' that receive extra abuse. Being rammed with forklifts, dropped off the back of the truck, etc.[/quote']

I knew a guy (I didn't like him but I knew him) that worked as a sorter for UPS. He claimed that he and most of his co-workers would indeed go out of their way to mishandle packages marked fragile. I wouldn't put it past him to lie about it, but I also wouldn't put it past him to do it. *shrug*

I knew a guy (I didn't like him but I knew him) that worked as a sorter for UPS. He claimed that he and most of his co-workers would indeed go out of their way to mishandle packages marked fragile. I wouldn't put it past him to lie about it' date=' but I also wouldn't put it past him to do it. *shrug*[/quote']

I heard the same thing from someone who worked at the Post Office. Also, they enjoy it when the magazines all come out, because they generally yank a copy for themselves, since out of the tons they deal with "who will miss one copy."

They also like to watch the machines chew up boxes. One day this paid off in a big way for society - a box filled with pedoophiliac pictures erupted. The sender was promptly arrested. (PS - presumably, they reported him and it's valid evidence as a reasonable accident)

I heard the same thing from someone who worked at the Post Office. Also, they enjoy it when the magazines all come out, because they generally yank a copy for themselves, since out of the tons they deal with "who will miss one copy."

They also like to watch the machines chew up boxes. One day this paid off in a big way for society - a box filled with pedoophiliac pictures erupted. The sender was promptly arrested. (PS - presumably, they reported him and it's valid evidence as a reasonable accident)

No wonder Seinfeld's Newman is so bitter & twisted. He is a true story. ;)

I knew a guy (I didn't like him but I knew him) that worked as a sorter for UPS. He claimed that he and most of his co-workers would indeed go out of their way to mishandle packages marked fragile. I wouldn't put it past him to lie about it' date=' but I also wouldn't put it past him to do it. *shrug*[/quote']

My group never did that. We wouldn't treat them any differently mind, but we didn't go out of our way to hurt Fragile boxes.

The only guy I wanted to really hurt was the jack*** who sent a friggin' Harley Fat Boy frame through UPS, unboxed. Guess what, they're heavy and unwieldy POSes. We were trying to figure out how to make it have "an accident." It survived the fall off the loading dock unfortunately. But not without scratches!!!