The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

And I wonder how much of that is due to the whole "You wanted Quicktime so we forced iTunes on you as well" thing.
I'd say a good few percent. Remember iTunes is loaded on all shipping Macs.

I reckon Apple should split the two technologies. If iTunes does require QT (and I reckon it does) then you also install QT. QT I reckon can exist without Itunes.

I updated about a week ago and it stopped working. So I un-then-re-installed it. Then I un-then-re-installed Quicktime. Now iTunes opens but does not play and QT does neither and I can't even uninstall it to try a fresh start or go to a previous version. Whenever I run the uninstaller it blinks off less than a second after I start it and then nothing. ...so I hate them.

The plumbing in this building has to be the worst-conceived EVER. They have all the stuff from the back bathrooms branching off . . . with one branch just capped off! Then it goes something like 8 feet down underneath the ground, only to go back uphill to meet the sewer system.

All of this wouldn't bother me half as much if they weren't fixing it TODAY. While we're open and everything. Imagine, for a moment, a building with 30-year-old idiotic plumbing. Now imagine the stench of said plumbing being opened up.

The warehouse guy is VERY grateful he's anosmic.

That's funny, because the a/c in our office is broken, and it's nice and toasty in here. It's tolerable for now, but by about 2pm it's going to start to smell.

At least our own a/c in the datacenter is still online. Maybe I should move in there, I'm on wireless after all.

That's funny, because the a/c in our office is broken, and it's nice and toasty in here. It's tolerable for now, but by about 2pm it's going to start to smell.

At least our own a/c in the datacenter is still online. Maybe I should move in there, I'm on wireless after all.

Even if you weren't wireless you should be able to find someplace to hook up in a data center... ;)

Heh' date=' very true. I can usually find someplace though. You should always have at least a few ports on your routers/switches/hubs open for emergencies... :)[/quote']

Yeah, we should, and I could probably find one if I had to. The real question is, which switch do I plug into? And since some of them are virtually partitioned, which port?

Bah. One of the Exchange servers had been down for about 2.5 days' date=' came back up about 45 minutes ago. First thing to reach me after that was a piece of spam that got past the filter. Pooey.[/quote']

[company shill]

My company would be more than happy to sell you a NetApp filer with snapshot capability, or a VMware license, either of which would prevent you from ever having to endure a 2 1/2 day email outage ever again. That is an atrociously unacceptable downtime figure.

[/company shill]

Yeah' date=' we [i']should,[/i] and I could probably find one if I had to. The real question is, which switch do I plug into? And since some of them are virtually partitioned, which port?

See, people that cannot answer those questions shouldn't be allowed into data centers in the first place. :D

Admittedly' date=' my official job is marketing. I'm sure there's some rule against marketing idiots entering the data center, even ones who still do engineering.[/quote']

Well, yeah, but from what I can tell you aren't a marketing idiot.

But if you don't know the root password for the routers, you don't belong in the data center... :D

Well, yeah, but from what I can tell you aren't a marketing idiot.

But if you don't know the root password for the routers, you don't belong in the data center... :D

That depends on the Data Center ... ours houses more than just silly Exchange Servers though. I don't know any of the root passwords but I go in there for different reasons.