The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Ha! Where were you 2 months ago when I was saying the same thing, and everybody looked at me like I'd sprouted another head?

Quicktime's always behaved that way for me. I usually run the uninstall, then go in and delete the components from the Program Files.

Sorry, I must've missed it. I'll normally fully support anyone who has anything bad to say about Quicktime. We hates it...

Sorry' date=' I must've missed it. I'll normally fully support anyone who has anything bad to say about Quicktime. We hates it...[/quote']

"We," indeed. I'd be quite happy if all the movie trailer links had choices other than Quicktime. As it is, I just grumble under my breath about it and figure the people commenting know what they're talking about.

If the trailer's particularly good, Josh'll show it to me on his computer, anyway.

"We," indeed. I'd be quite happy if all the movie trailer links had choices other than Quicktime. As it is, I just grumble under my breath about it and figure the people commenting know what they're talking about.

If the trailer's particularly good, Josh'll show it to me on his computer, anyway.

Yeah, my bro a) installs quicktime, and B) will generally show me trailers he is interested in. Which are generally ones that I am also interested in. :)

It helps that his computer is just a couple of feet from mine...

QuickTime is the friend you need when Real & Microsoft screw you with locked down DMR. At least QT is based on open standards eg MPEG4 was developed from QuickTime.

If only it could be uninstalled, didn't require other unrelated software to be installed, and didn't cause instabilities on Windows systems.

Because Quicktime (at least for Windows) is a virus as near as I can tell. The only application that I've ever come across outside of actual "intended as malware" that has given me more problems is Real Player. I refuse to install either on any of my personal systems, and so miss out on a number of movie previews that partner with Apple to provide a Quicktime only preview.

And these days as near as I can tell you can't even install Quicktime without also installing iTunes. Bleh.

Totally with you. I hate them both for those exact reasons. And as you say, RP is the worst.

Zornwil' date=' this Safeway isn't in downtown Portland by the Oregon Art Museum is it?[/quote']

Nah - the one you reference used to be about as bad as mine, then they tore it down, rebuilt it (but not in the exact same spot), and successfully yuppified it with lots of cool stuff and friendly service.

Nah - the one you reference used to be about as bad as mine' date=' then they tore it down, rebuilt it (but not in the exact same spot), and successfully yuppified it with lots of cool stuff and friendly service.[/quote']

Ah, when I went to PNCA which was at the time in the museum, I ate there every day.

If only it could be uninstalled' date=' didn't require other unrelated software to be installed, and didn't cause instabilities on Windows systems.[/quote']

uninstalled -- 'Mostly' Apple is at fault here. I say mostly as Avie (2iC at Apple at the time of the antitrust trial) stated that MS worked code into Windoze to enable QT to behave badly (pr words to that effect)

what "unrelated software" is installed?

instabilities on Windows systems -- As stated above Windoze has code within specifically aimed at QT as testified in a court of law. I don't doubt that dor a moment. MS and its monopoly strikes again. ;)

Zornwil' date=' this Safeway isn't in downtown Portland by the Oregon Art Museum is it?[/quote']

I see the lizard has already answered, but I'll add. It's less scary now. I wonder what happened to some of the customers, it's like they got rebuilt as well or something.

I see the lizard has already answered' date=' but I'll add. It's less scary now. I wonder what happened to some of the customers, it's like they got rebuilt as well or something.[/quote']

Good question. Some gentrificaton has started in the area so some people have been kicked out, but the scary hotel is still right near there, between the Safeway and the Jefferson Theater.

uninstalled -- 'Mostly' Apple is at fault here. I say mostly as Avie (2iC at Apple at the time of the antitrust trial) stated that MS worked code into Windoze to enable QT to behave badly (pr words to that effect)

what "unrelated software" is installed?

instabilities on Windows systems -- As stated above Windoze has code within specifically aimed at QT as testified in a court of law. I don't doubt that dor a moment. MS and its monopoly strikes again. ;)

Well, I doubt that Windows code has anything to do with the fact that the uninstall process for QT leaves running parts of the application in place on your computer, and leave a large amount of dross in the registry as well. That is just a poorly written uninstall. Whether it was poorly written on purpose or just due to incompetence is a different question.

And the unrelated software that must be installed is iTunes. I have no need or desire to install Apple's music management/playing software to watch viedeos.

I can understand that' date=' and why Apple did it that way.[/quote']

Oh I understand why Apple did it, at least the "you must install iTunes" part. Most people don't realize that they're installing anything extra, and probably wouldn't care if they did. And now Apple gets to count everyone who installs QT as also being an iTunes user so they can inflate their marketshare claims.

But understanding it doesn't make me like it. And I'll continue to recommend to people that they not install QT, and explain why. And continue to recommend to companies that I work for that they not allow people to install QT on their work computers, since it causes support headaches.