The cranky thread

Hermit

Once again, I am bitten by the misfeature of software development that writers of user manuals are not evaluated by people who actually use the manuals to try and use the software; they are evaluated by people who are, almost by definition, not inexperienced users of the software.

Who needs help from a manual most? A first-time user. And when your interface for first-time use of a feature is different from the interface for all other uses of the feature, and only the repeat-use interface is in your manual, your new users find themselves wishing for two things: (1) your current location, and (2) artillery capable of bombarding that location.

I hear you barking, but let's see if we can get software manuals to contain correct information before we worry about things like logical layout or making them easy to read.

And interfaces are another can of worms entirely.  Interfaces are nearly always driven by ease of coding, not intuitivity (?) or workflow efficiency.  I've seen quite a few examples of interfaces that were so bad they took longer to work with than the paper-based workflow they were replacing. 

I watch the PTWC site as it is most directly relevant to my situation.  Looks like we'll be fine; there's an advisory out to make sure no one's in the water when any potential tsunami gets here at 3:30 in the morning.

The PTWC guys are a very decaf bunch of people.  I put in a firewall for them way back in the 20th century, and they didn't seem to mind at all when I inadvertently cut off all their telemetry for a few minutes.  Their facility is also about 300 yards from the beach at an elevation of maybe six feet, too.

First Hero forum post in months, and it's on the grumpy thread. ;)

Today is the start of the third MIddle East Film and Comic Con. All my mates in the Gulf Roleplaying Community are down there. I'm not. I'd planned to run some Monster HUnter International and Pathfinder Society.

But this is my fifth week on crutches. I tore a muscle in my backside, and it's only just starting to get better. I can't imperil recovery.

Fed up about the crutches. Limited mobility sucks.

Fed up about missng the con.

On the bright side, WInter Soldier opened in the UAE last night. The cinema at out nearest mall is about 50 yards' hobble from the mall entrance. I'll be taking my superhero-obsessed youngest son to see it at noon.

Also on the bright side, five weeks of crutches is improving my upper body strength. My moobs have shrunk significantly.

On the bright side, WInter Soldier opened in the UAE last night. The cinema at out nearest mall is about 50 yards' hobble from the mall entrance. I'll be taking my superhero-obsessed youngest son to see it at noon.

Get better you super soldier! Winter Soldier is awesome, so worth the 50 yards hobble to the mall. 

First Hero forum post in months, and it's on the grumpy thread. ;)

Today is the start of the third MIddle East Film and Comic Con. All my mates in the Gulf Roleplaying Community are down there. I'm not. I'd planned to run some Monster HUnter International and Pathfinder Society.

But this is my fifth week on crutches. I tore a muscle in my backside, and it's only just starting to get better. I can't imperil recovery.

Fed up about the crutches. Limited mobility sucks.

Fed up about missng the con.

Also on the bright side, five weeks of crutches is improving my upper body strength. My moobs have shrunk significantly.

fell better, 

enjoy the film

good on you for the moobreduction! ;)

Winter Soldier is a must-see. I am amazed they squeezed that much plot and arc-building into one movie. Chris Evans is, as ever, superb in the role. The Falcon is awesome, Redford is, well, he's Redford. And Jenny Agutter kicks ass. Literally.

There are two teasers at the end. Wait until the very last credits roll.

There are a couple of bits where you can see the CGI, but in the overall context of a great action flick, that's trivial.

A month ago, I got a new graft in my left arm.

It worked dandy.  I got my hopes up that this would work, and I could get rid of my catheter.

It clotted up after two weeks, and my catheter didn't work worth a damn either.

Trip to hospital to replace catheter and unclot graft.

Signed in at noon, was after 8pm by the time I left (due to being penciled in on short notice) on Friday.

Saturday morning ... graft clotted off.  At least the catheter worked.

Frustration growing to head-explody levels.