The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

My best friend from high school is going in for chemotherapy in July. He's a year older than his mom was when she passed away from cancer. And I don't think his oncologist is being straight with him by saying he'll be able to work the day after a treatment, but we'll see.

JoeG

He passed away about four hours ago, most likely from a blood clot. He would have been 44 in 6 days.

So, please raise a glass for Richard, a friend, brother, and fellow Hero gamer.

JoeG

Have you ever been playing a game with someone, and they get a rule wrong, and you calmly and politely quote the rules and point out how it actually works, then you get the official FAQ for the game and it agrees with you, and you find a quote from the guy who manages the rules of the game that agrees with you, and the person STILL insists that he's right even though you've shown him Celestia-only-knows how many pieces of official information that show he's wrong?

Have you ever been playing a game with someone' date=' and they get a rule wrong, and you calmly and politely quote the rules and point out how it actually works, then you get the official FAQ for the game and it agrees with you, and you find a quote from the guy who manages the rules of the game that agrees with you, and the person STILL insists that he's right even though you've shown him Celestia-only-knows how many pieces of official information that show he's wrong?[/quote']

Yes.

Have you ever been playing a game with someone' date=' and they get a rule wrong, and you calmly and politely quote the rules and point out how it actually works, then you get the official FAQ for the game and it agrees with you, and you find a quote from the guy who manages the rules of the game that agrees with you, and the person STILL insists that he's right even though you've shown him Celestia-only-knows how many pieces of official information that show he's wrong?[/quote']

"Don't confuse me with the facts; my mind's made up!"

He passed away about four hours ago, most likely from a blood clot. He would have been 44 in 6 days.

JoeG

I am sorry to hear that. I will say a prayer for him.

Less a 'grouchy', more a 'worry'.

Someone I know online, her daughter was scheduled for a C-section next Friday. However, she visited her OBGYN today, and he had her admitted to the hospital immediately. Is there any possibility that this does NOT mean something has done wrong?

So is there and update on her condition? That of the baby??

JoeG

Ternaugh, please have my sympathies. 44 is just too damned young to go.

Yes. The the group I had* was a good one in part because people like that either eventually came around or were weeded out. This would make a good addition to the Warning Signs To Watch Out For thread.

*I miss that group. Been a long time since I've been in a truly good, long-term game -- of any system.

My back is all messed up today.

Sympathy. I've just got over a couple of bad-back days, which segued seamlessly from four bad-gut days.

What can I say? I took my first leave of the year. I think my body just decided it was OK to take some time out while I wasn't forcing it to go to work.

If there has been anybody who has suffered a loss (person' date=' pet, or property) that I have not given moral support for, please be assured it was only due to an omission of reading of it and not a deliberate act of omission.[/quote']

Likewise.

Ternaugh, you have my deepest sympathy. I lost one of my closest friends four years ago, to pneumonia of all things. He was 39. We were room-mates throghout our student days. He was my best man at my first wedding; I was his. He was my GM in MERP, I was his in HarnMaster and a very short Fantasy Hero game.

I'm not weeping any more, but I miss him deeply. I'm just about to head back to the UK for the first time since his funeral, and I'll take the time to walk a rural path he helped build shortly before his death. His adopted village dedicated a bench to him on top of the hill, and I think I'll bury a set of percentile dice underneath it (hey, he GMed MERP).