The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Okay, so a QA tester reports to me that there is an account that will occasionally fail to recognize a customer's PIN, but at other times will recognize it just fine. So, I ask for some sample transactions showing this behavior.

I'm given two, one that occurs on Friday and the other from today. In the transaction log for Friday's test, I see the system inform the tester that there is no PIN on file and prompts the tester to enter the last 4 of their SSN and then create a new PIN, which the tester does. Of course, the transaction from today shows the system prompting the tester to enter their PIN.

Gee, I wonder why the system recognized the PIN on the second test? :slap:

So, while we were away, my sister-in-law had a housecleaning service come in and do the main floor of the house. Finding things is ... problematic. So far only one thing is almost certainly improperly removed (meaning: they decided it was disposable, and I disagree), that being a ball out of a trackball mouse, but it means I'll have to get a new mouse that I can plug in rather than use the guilty-of-incestuous-rape touchpads on our internet-capable machines.

The joys of having a clean house are overrated.

If by 'rock' you mean 'collect all kinds of gross and irritating crap that builds up on the rollers'' date=' then, yeah.[/quote']

...which takes about two minutes to scrape off with a small-ish knife/screwdriver/whatever, if you're careful. Replace trackball, continue, and file under "first-world problems."

My ex just tried to drunk dial me.

Not the recent ex, but Niamh.

Who ended up being my "too crazy for me" benchmark

I am SO not in the right head space for this, and even more glad that I resisted the sick urge to answer the phone.

Every time I've tried to go that route in the last 5 years I've regretted it, but the temptation is still there

...which takes about two minutes to scrape off with a small-ish knife/screwdriver/whatever' date=' if you're careful. Replace trackball, continue, and file under "first-world problems."[/quote']

Or I could use an optical mouse and save myself two minutes and a lot of aggravation...

So, while we were away, my sister-in-law had a housecleaning service come in and do the main floor of the house. Finding things is ... problematic. So far only one thing is almost certainly improperly removed (meaning: they decided it was disposable, and I disagree), that being a ball out of a trackball mouse, but it means I'll have to get a new mouse that I can plug in rather than use the guilty-of-incestuous-rape touchpads on our internet-capable machines.

The joys of having a clean house are overrated.

I had a friend who used an 8-ball as his trackball. The pool ball was almost the exact same size as a regular trackball.

I have always been a very private person. I don't wear my emotions on my sleeve; I keep them well-hidden at all times. When I was growing up, showing the world that you were sad was a good way to get taunted and beat up. I also learned during that time that nobody really cares about your problems, even the people who are supposed to care. I was the fifth of six children, and the youngest for a very long time. By the time I came around, my mother had gotten sick and tired of all of her kids' bullshit, so when I went to her with an issue, big or small, I was usually ignored. She just couldn't bring herself to care.

I find now that things really haven't changed. I still hide my emotions because as a kid I learned that nobody cares, and that still holds true today. If I expose my problems and my emotions, I get ignored or misunderstood. So why bother? It's easier and more effective to do like everyone else, and pretend my problems aren't really real, and that I don't really have any emotions.

I'm tough. I'm self-sufficient. I can deal with my own problems, most of the time. So when I show emotion, when I seem overwhelmed, it's because my issue is a huge one that I don't feel capable of tackling on my own. That's the time when I need support the most. That's when I want the people around me to care. But apparently, my problems aren't important enough to show up on anyone's radar.

I have always been a very private person. I don't wear my emotions on my sleeve; I keep them well-hidden at all times. When I was growing up, showing the world that you were sad was a good way to get taunted and beat up. I also learned during that time that nobody really cares about your problems, even the people who are supposed to care. I was the fifth of six children, and the youngest for a very long time. By the time I came around, my mother had gotten sick and tired of all of her kids' bullshit, so when I went to her with an issue, big or small, I was usually ignored. She just couldn't bring herself to care.

I find now that things really haven't changed. I still hide my emotions because as a kid I learned that nobody cares, and that still holds true today. If I expose my problems and my emotions, I get ignored or misunderstood. So why bother? It's easier and more effective to do like everyone else, and pretend my problems aren't really real, and that I don't really have any emotions.

I'm tough. I'm self-sufficient. I can deal with my own problems, most of the time. So when I show emotion, when I seem overwhelmed, it's because my issue is a huge one that I don't feel capable of tackling on my own. That's the time when I need support the most. That's when I want the people around me to care. But apparently, my problems aren't important enough to show up on anyone's radar.

Amen brother. Around my friends it is referred to a "Vimes' 'Tight' smile" -- because it doesn't touch my eyes.

You and I are of a comparable age and it seems we've had similar experiences. Fortunately for me, my mother was more attentive. I mainly just got hassled by classmates or stepfathers.

Anyway, it's a vicious catch-22 ain't it. If you speak up or otherwise let people know you're having trouble it seems the best you'll get are meaningless platitudes but more often it ends up with the other person trying to show how much larger their own problems are. On the other hand, if you keep in and try to deal with it yourself and finally get so frustrated that you can't hold it back any longer, it's your fault for not having said something sooner.

On the converse side of it, I had an ex once tell me that I tried to help too much. It seemed she just wanted to complain, not actually fix the problem. That's another frustrating one when you're an analytical problem-solver by nature.

You and I are of a comparable age and it seems we've had similar experiences. Fortunately for me, my mother was more attentive. I mainly just got hassled by classmates or stepfathers.

On the converse side of it, I had an ex once tell me that I tried to help too much. It seemed she just wanted to complain, not actually fix the problem. That's another frustrating one when you're an analytical problem-solver by nature.

This. I had several exes that said the same thing. My career has been problem solving. I'm a good man, but not necessarily

A nice man. The last Ex used to tell me "you can't save everyone" and I disagreed. If not me, then who? And when you're saving the world, you really don't have time to complain.

I read an article stating that's a typical problem with couples. As a generalization, women don't want men to FIX their problems, they want them to empathize. Men, on the other hand, feel a lot of frustration when presented with a problem they aren't allowed to fix. Women want communication about a problem, men want to SOLVE them.

Again, that's a vast generalization