The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Some weeks I think the universe is actively trying to drive me insane.

I've heard it said: "Forget all this nonsense about 'God loves us!' and 'There's a reason for everything.' If one simply accepts the fact that The Universe is a vile, bitter and hateful being which holds a personal grudge against each and every one of us for existing, all of a sudden, things make a lot more sense."

For the record, I don't believe it. But even as a thought-experiment, it's pretty hard to come up with any truly compelling evidence against it.

I've heard it said: "Forget all this nonsense about 'God loves usl' and 'There's a reason for everything.' If one simply accepts the fact that The Universe is a vile' date=' bitter and hateful being which holds a personal grudge against each and every one of us for existing, all of a sudden, things make a lot more sense." [/quote']

I believe it. I believe it wholeheartedly.

I've heard it said: "Forget all this nonsense about 'God loves usl' and 'There's a reason for everything.' If one simply accepts the fact that The Universe is a vile, bitter and hateful being which holds a personal grudge against each and every one of us for existing, all of a sudden, things make a lot more sense."

For the record, I don't believe it. But even as a thought-experiment, it's pretty hard to come up with any truly compelling evidence against it.

My namesake describes my feelings on the matter: "He is almost certainly one of Nature's policemen; it has been said of him that his soul burns to arrest the Creator of the universe for getting it wrong."

Depends on which New Orleans. Bourbon Street is hopelessly seedy and cheesy in a way that Vegas can only dream of being. It's May, so the weather is probably hot and sticky. There will be tourists all over the place. However, if you can find the right places, there is excellent food and music to be found. Last time I was down there I was with a coworker who also happened to be a sax player; guy looked like a kid in a candy store. He literally wandered all over the French Quarter with a big stupid grin on his face, from one bar band to another, and I felt obligated to wingman for the guy so he didn't get rolled.

Depends on which New Orleans. Bourbon Street is hopelessly seedy and cheesy in a way that Vegas can only dream of being. It's May' date=' so the weather is probably hot and sticky. There will be tourists all over the place. However, if you can find the right places, there is excellent food and music to be found. Last time I was down there I was with a coworker who also happened to be a sax player; guy looked like a kid in a candy store. He literally wandered all over the French Quarter with a big stupid grin on his face, from one bar band to another, and I felt obligated to wingman for the guy so he didn't get rolled.[/quote']

I'm pretty close to the French Quarter. There are a number of good restaurants around me and when I step out on my hotel patio I can hear jazz (I love jazz), but this is going to be three days of training on new software (which I dig) in a nice hotel -- that doesn't have my girl, dog, or bed.

I'm old and entitled :(

Literal or figurative edibility? (For clarity; I've never had alligator)

Literal. I guess it's probably always technically edible, but my first experience with alligator was fried--badly--and extremely oily. Since then I've had it grilled and fried better, both of which were quite good.

Literal. I guess it's probably always technically edible' date=' but my first experience with alligator was fried--badly--and extremely oily. Since then I've had it grilled and fried better, both of which were quite good.[/quote']

Grilled with garlic and cayenne is probably better on (this) old man's stomach. :)

Saturday: The weather forecast is warm and sunny. I leave for work wearing a light jacket. The day turns out to be cold and overcast. I freeze my butt off.

Monday: The weather forecast is cool. I leave for work wearing a heavy trench coat. The day turns out to be hot. I end up baking in my heavy coat.

Stupid meteorologists! :thumbdown

I quit taking weather reports seriously the day I caught all three of the local news station reports--and they were all completely different. Now I check the weather at the local university's meteorology department website. There's none of this 'partly sunny' uselessness, and no animated rain clouds, just three paragraphs of text describing what's going on and what the weather will be like as a result.

Of course, the weather here doesn't exactly vary wildly either.