The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

But' date=' like the light at the end of the tunnel which turns out to be an oncoming train... the wind turned out to be a major thunderstorm blowing into the area. I had to pack up my gear and head back to the office early.[/quote']

I hear there was a town in Missouri that got some heavy weather recently...

I am completely outraged. A coworker was walking her dog' date=' when it was suddenly attacked and killed by a larger dog. The dog's owner just ran off.[/quote']

D: But did they catch the dog? Hopefully it was microchipped, although somehow I doubt it :(

D: But did they catch the dog? Hopefully it was microchipped' date=' although somehow I doubt it :([/quote']

Unfortunately, no. And from what I hear, it all happened so fast, my coworker (actually my boss) wasn't able to get a good look of the owner. All we know is that the big dog is a pit bull.

Edit: I suspect that pit bull is being trained for fighting, the way it just attacked the small dog.

Unfortunately, no. And from what I hear, it all happened so fast, my coworker (actually my boss) wasn't able to get a good look of the owner. All we know is that the big dog is a pit bull.

Edit: I suspect that pit bull is being trained for fighting, the way it just attacked the small dog.

well, shit :(

My wife hasn't gotten a raise in 2 years. Maybe 3. The company has said that there may be room in the budget for raises this year, IF the company can reduce its shrink (aka theft/loss). Meaning, keeping an eye out for thieves and other scams is taking a very high priority at her job.

Except for one guy.

Someone walked out with a Flintstones Complete Set DVD under their arm. That's $110 pissed down the drain. He SAW them do it.

"Did you pay for that?"

"Yeah."

"Do you have a receipt?"

"You can just look it up in the system."

And he lets them leave ... WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP IN THE SYSTEM, which would have told him that the store had NEVER sold one of those. Over a hundred bucks of loss because this craphead can't be bothered to actually do his job, in my wife's department so that makes her look bad. I cannot believe she didn't rip him several new ones, especially after he said 'I did everything I was supposed to' to her, when he was supposed to make sure people don't prance out with hundred dollar DVD box sets under their arms! I suggested that she write him up for gross incompetence; even if he pops his cork and quits for being written up when he thinks he didn't do anything wrong, nobody's going to miss him.

I hear there was a town in Missouri that got some heavy weather recently...

Joplin, I think.

Anyway, that's why I pack up and head back to the office when heavy weather moves in. It might be a 10min shower, or it might be an F5 tornado....

Also, I don't work around electrical equipment during lightning storms. The job's not important enough to take that kind of risk.

Xavier' date=' where in Mo do you live. St. Louis region?[/quote']

I'm in southern Illinois, actually. Near the Indiana border -- which puts me about 3 hours from Cape Girardeau.

And since this is the "cranky" thread: I'm also at least TWO hours from anyplace remotely civilized. It's not the middle of nowhere -- it's a forgotten patch of nothing on the wrong side of nowhere.

Grr, my daughter got a piece of malware into the machine she got for Christmas. (searchqu, an obnoxious "browser helper object", I think.) AFAICT it happened last week, probably when some of her friends were messing with it. I didn't have time to deal with it last night, and won't until Saturday, but I have that to look forward to. Grr.

Grr' date=' my daughter got a piece of malware into the machine she got for Christmas. (searchqu, an obnoxious "browser helper object", I think.) AFAICT it happened last week, probably when some of her friends were messing with it. I didn't have time to deal with it last night, and won't until Saturday, but I have that to look forward to. Grr.[/quote']

I highly recommend Malware Bytes. We use it at work when our normal AV utility doesn't find/remove certain bugs.

When will this horrible cough ever end ? I saw the Doctor again today and he put me back on Prednisone and an Antibiotic. He ordered a chest X-Ray and wants me on Nexium for possible acid reflux, but he'll have to hassle with my Insurance company about that one. I also have my four pills plus Albuterol inhaler and Nebulizer.

God, I hope this works. I hope I can sleep tonight. It's that bad. I haven't been able to do much of anything in over two weeks.

I highly recommend Malware Bytes. We use it at work when our normal AV utility doesn't find/remove certain bugs.

I also recommend "Spybot Search & Destroy".

When will this horrible cough ever end ? I saw the Doctor again today and he put me back on Prednisone and an Antibiotic. He ordered a chest X-Ray and wants me on Nexium for possible acid reflux, but he'll have to hassle with my Insurance company about that one. I also have my four pills plus Albuterol inhaler and Nebulizer.

God, I hope this works. I hope I can sleep tonight. It's that bad. I haven't been able to do much of anything in over two weeks.

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. You could, however, talk to one about a ventilation machine. My Dad has one for a blocked airway and it works.

Not sure if it's relevant, though.

A day and a half after I got my new WiFi antenna, my internet connection is out of commission again. This time at the other end -- my equipment is all OK, but my neighbor's router just went on the blink, and they're out of town for the next week and a half. I could just cave in and get my own service, but the installation would be complete about the same time they return, so there's no point. Also, it's $200 just to install, and a one-year contract for $70/month. I think I'll just wait until the neighbors get back....

Yes, they know I'm using their wireless network, and I'm paying them for it. Internet service around here costs waaay too much (for really crappy speed & service), and the installation fees are ridiculous, so lots of people split the bill with their neighbors. Nothing wrong with that, until a storm takes out your neighbor's router while they're spending two weeks in Hawaii....

Someday I oughta move back to civilization.

I am frustrated and angry. I'm trying to complete a (very amicable and much agreed upon) civil union dissolution (i.e., divorce). Since we have nothing we disagree about, I'd like to use one of the low-cost online divorce services that we can fill out ourselves instead of being charged around $2500 for getting a lawyer to do it. Unfortunately, NONE of the sites I have found (e.g., 3stepdivorce.com, legalzoom.com) offer help with civil unions. I'm checking on completecase.com, but I'm not holding my breath. Google searches and the like reveal nothing of any use.

It's rare that I feel my second class citizenship so strongly. Makes me angry, sad, and very cranky. :mad:

This is my very first post to the cranky thread.

People still use IE? I use Firefox almost exclusively' date=' mainly for the Adblock and Flashblock extensions.[/quote']

+1

Between Adblock Plus (ABP) for Firefox and Netflix Streaming I have very nearly eliminated ads from my daily life. I still do Tivo live TV so have to fast-forward through ads. I am so spoiled, especially when it comes to interenet ads that it is a shock when I use a browser without ABP. BTW, the main reason I'm not using Chrome is that ABP is not as effective on Google's browser as it is on Firefox. Considering how Google gets their revenue I'm tempted to believe this is not an accident.