The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I'm not sure whether I should claim that he's that bad or that I'm just that damn good. :cool:

Dude... if I were your boss, and I saw you fix in 3 hours something this guy couldn't do in a month, I would say both of those things were true.

I'd also "reward" the bozo by extending his 3-month leave... indefinitely.

Okay' date=' so remember the new coder I mentioned yesterday. Well, now I found out (at about 2:30 pm today) that he's going on an extended 3-month leave. I then get told that one of the pieces he'd been working on for the last month was promised for the version of our app that's being cut [b']today[/b] and I have to finish it.

Over the last 3 hours, I've stripped out almost all his changes, built the functionality from scratch and gotten it turned over to QA after it passed my own initial testing.

I'm not sure whether I should claim that he's that bad or that I'm just that damn good. :cool:

It's Friday. I'm going home, getting some dinner, and vegging out for a while.

P.S. This problem was pretty damn minor compared to some of the other things folks have posted recently. To you folks, I sincerely hope things improve soon.

Good luck with that. I hope for your sake that his "leave" is one of those that becomes permanent.

Hopefully your boss will remember your coming through for him.

Dude... if I were your boss' date=' and I saw you fix in 3 hours something this guy couldn't do in a month, I would say [i']both[/i] of those things were true.

I'd also "reward" the bozo by extending his 3-month leave... indefinitely.

Good luck with that. I hope for your sake that his "leave" is one of those that becomes permanent.

Thanks. Unfortunately my boss left before I did (understandable as he had to pick up his kid from day-care), so he won't find out the results until Monday. The nice thing is that reviews are coming up in about a month and that's what our raises are based on.

"Wow. Their job is so easy that one programmer can do a month of the other programmer's work in an afternoon! I bet that if I knew how to do it, it would only take me an hour!"

"Wow. Their job is so easy that one programmer can do a month of the other programmer's work in an afternoon! I bet that if I knew how to do it' date=' it would only take me an hour!"[/quote']

Heh. Fortunately both my supervisor and my manager are actual programmers.

Ah' date=' the hours I wasted on rec.games.frp.misc. Good times.[/quote']

Yeah, it's all turning into a vast wasteland now. There's still a couple islands of (semi)on-topic activity on usenet, but it's nothing like it was 10-15 years ago.

And yet all the stupid cr*p I posted there is still available to read online for anyone who cares to look. Thanks Google!

DejaNews was archiving usenet before Google bought them out and the service was actually useful then. I can almost never find old postings that I want to look up. Even stuff that was posted only a year ago seems to disappear.

I can't watch The History Channel anymore. Every time I try' date=' they're playing something about "ancient aliens" or another reality show. :([/quote']

Makes you long for the days when people called it 'the Hitlery Channel'. :P