The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I'm convinced that there's a room in Hell that's just like an overfull 737 with a screaming baby in the row behind you, a little old lady continuously and compulsively slathering on "rose"-scented hand lotion, and a 600-pound drunken maroon who hasn't bathed since the Battle of Marengo passed out drunk and leaning over on you as he snores. Actually, there's two such rooms. One is #11 for take-off from O'Hare and has been since Marengo Guy fell asleep on you back on V-J Day; the other is permanently circling Houston at 4 in the afternoon in August, waiting for final approach, with a mean free path of about eight meters between turbulence-induced random jumps at 1.2 gees.

I dunno' date=' that was really bad perfume.[/quote']

Today some woman at the hospital had a gallon of the perfume that to me smells like insecticide on. Usually causes me to start sneezing, and I've already got a cold.

Though I'm now on some antibiotics as a precaution. (prescribed before encountering insecticide woman) I think it's helping the cold/whatever I have.

I gave up Lent. If I hadn't seen it posted here I wouldn't have even known we were in it...we are in it right?

On a not really related note except that this made me think of it...I have kept one and only one New Year's resolution in my life. It is the one I made on New Years day sometime in the late 70's where I resolved to never make another New Year's resolution.

I gave up Christianity for Lent' date=' which is ironic since I didn't have it to begin with.[/quote']

Reminds me of a scene from M*A*S*H...

Father Mulcahe: Let us pray...

::notices that Klinger is putting his head down::

Father Mulcahe: Klinger? I thought you were an agnostic.

Klinger: I gave it up for Lent.

I think of myself as a better Christian than a great many Christians. Which is really saying something.

In that vein, I often comment to those pagans that I know won't take it the wrong way, that they are far better Christians than I am.

So after getting laid off because the government is unable to pass a budget' date=' I learned today that one of the jobs I applied for is on indefinite hold... until the government passes a budget.[/quote']

Welcome to Limbo. I hope your stay isn't too long. Any hopes for a job in the private sector?

My wife, who lost her job a couple weeks ago, has been advised to apply for disability (she has MS and that's the reason she missed so much work in the last year) but apparently that takes 6+ months to kick in... and she's scheduled for hip surgery in a month.

So, the new programmer we hired about a month ago, the one that claims to have 30+ years experience as a coder, keeps submitting code that breaks our application. My supervisor and I, several times now, have had to go back in and fix his code changes. At a very minimum, he's submitting code without properly testing it first.

However, the errors he makes are all rookie mistakes. It's things like failing to account for case-sensitivity, not using proper error handling and the like. Methinks he padded his resume a tad. Alas, I suspect he won't be around much longer which means that the majority of his todo list will go to me (as I'm the only other programmer on this project).

On the plus side, he's made me look really good in the eyes of my supervisor and manager and he's probably increased my job security considerably.

Welcome to Limbo. I hope your stay isn't too long. Any hopes for a job in the private sector?

These are jobs in the private sector. It's just that they sell to or provide services for the federal government. What I should do, I suppose, is look for government jobs, although I strongly suspect there are few such jobs that will cover my expenses.

Here's the needle that goes into my wife's port.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38272[/ATTACH]

Much better than hunting around for her small veins that roll, but the first time she saw that thing, :nonp:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38273[/ATTACH]

And that's the $4500 shot.

Okay, so remember the new coder I mentioned yesterday. Well, now I found out (at about 2:30 pm today) that he's going on an extended 3-month leave. I then get told that one of the pieces he'd been working on for the last month was promised for the version of our app that's being cut today and I have to finish it.

Over the last 3 hours, I've stripped out almost all his changes, built the functionality from scratch and gotten it turned over to QA after it passed my own initial testing.

I'm not sure whether I should claim that he's that bad or that I'm just that damn good. :cool:

It's Friday. I'm going home, getting some dinner, and vegging out for a while.

P.S. This problem was pretty damn minor compared to some of the other things folks have posted recently. To you folks, I sincerely hope things improve soon.