The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Still every morning I wake up with an aching back. I can't sleep in my own bed' date=' I can't sleep on the floor, I can't sleep in our inflatable bed. If the mattress pad we ordered doesn't fix it I don't know what I'm gonna do. Thanks for the sympathy, tkdguy.[/quote']

If muscle relaxants and/or chiropractors haven't helped, have you considered acupuncture?

Still every morning I wake up with an aching back. I can't sleep in my own bed' date=' I can't sleep on the floor, I can't sleep in our inflatable bed. If the mattress pad we ordered doesn't fix it I don't know what I'm gonna do. Thanks for the sympathy, tkdguy.[/quote']

I'm not sure if this will help, but have you tried a futon mattress? I went to a store that does 'made to order' futons, and got a queen-size about a foot thick. It's firm and comfortable, and I've never had back trouble since I got it. Switched to a normal bed for a while after I moved (the new place was furnished) and had back pains. They went away when I got the futon out of storage and put away the 'normal' bed.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. My bed foam pad is here so we'll see how that goes tonight. @Klytus: I haven't gone to a Chiropractor because the pain goes away after I've been up about 1/2 hour, 45 minutes or so. I don't want muscle relaxants because I am on eight medications already, which is ridiculous for someone not even 50 years old. I get a massage every two weeks, so that helps. Maybe I will go again next week.

It was clear skies where I live... until the eclipse started... at which point' date=' the clouds came in.[/quote']

Sorry to hear that. I hate when that happens, and I've had that happen to me quite a few times.

Thanks for the tips' date=' everyone. My bed foam pad is here so we'll see how that goes tonight. @Klytus: I haven't gone to a Chiropractor because the pain goes away after I've been up about 1/2 hour, 45 minutes or so. I don't want muscle relaxants because I am on eight medications already, which is ridiculous for someone not even 50 years old. I get a massage every two weeks, so that helps. Maybe I will go again next week.[/quote']

You may want to consult a chiropractor anyway to get some advice. I hope that new mattress works out for you.

Slept on my new mattress pad last night and it helps a lot. The pain is only a little now and it goes away fast. My lower back hurts a bit though. I have a sway back. It always took a week or so of standing for retail work before I was used to it. It hurts to stand for any length of time. It's always been that way.

I am told that lower back pain is sometimes the result of weak abdominals, and that 40-50 leg lifts a night help a lot with that. YMMV.

As for my own cranky, I let the yard go too long again, so I broke out the weed whacker. Only to discover that the long grass was harboring zillions of big African snails, which also got whacked, covering me in a nice even layer of snail guts.

As for my own cranky, I let the yard go too long again, so I broke out the weed whacker. Only to discover that the long grass was harboring zillions of big African snails, which also got whacked, covering me in a nice even layer of snail guts.

Wrong thread. This is for being cranky, not...

On second thought, never mind.

And anyone having lower back pains should try an abdominal workout routine. Strengthening those "sheath" muscles can save years of pain directly, and indirectly via relieving the pressure that compensating postures put on other joints.

I am told that lower back pain is sometimes the result of weak abdominals, and that 40-50 leg lifts a night help a lot with that. YMMV.

...You...Win? the thread for today.

Christmas Eve. The day before Christmas. The last opportunity for people to receive packages from out of town in time for Christmas. So, other than tax day, quite possibly the most important day of the year for postal customers.

So what horse's @$$ decided it was a good idea for every Post Office in the country to close their windows at noon today?!

As I said, no one hurt. If it hadn't been raining quite steadily, the other guy might have stopped in time to avoid us; it was nearly a zero-velocity collision. (I waited for the signal to turn green before starting my turn, but he wasn't paying attention.) I think our rear and his front bumpers are trashed, but I haven't heard from a body shop yet.