The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

A small one:

Last night, I bowed out of a game with the regular group. I knew I wasn't going to be able to get into it, and I know it'd be better to be honest and not play than play, not have fun, and perhaps unconsciously sabotage the game, but still ... I know at least two of those present were disappointed.

That makes me sad too. Thanks for sharing. :)

I guess I just stole some girl's frap at this Starbucks. It doesn't really matter since obviously we ordered the same thing. But I still feel guilty about it.

God I hate Starbucks.

We recently got the news that our feline companion of eight years is suffering a progressive and inevitable kidney failure. She's not expected to live more than 6-12 months. But she 's also not eating right now so we're not sure if she'll make the week, much less half a year.

She also not her usual self. Normally, she would be playful, affectionate, chatty....trying to climb into your lap and face in search of attention while purring like an outboard motor. Now all she can do is lie there in discomfort, barely strong enough to walk a few feet.

And we're expected to try to get on with our lives while she's going through this? We're trying to find joy in our 6-month old and an soon-to-be-arriving nephew. We have family and friends visiting in the next weeks....and we don't know how we're supposed to put on a brave face and somehow pretend that our furry friend isn't slowly dying.

It sucks and it's unfair. I know there's nothing we can do about it and that almost makes it worse. I want to cry or scream or curse or all of the above. I want it all to just stop but I don't really get a say in the matter. I don't want to give up on her...but I don't want her to have to suffer.

It's just f*****d up.

Sorry. Thanks for letting me vent.

Lonewalker

I've lost a couple of cats to kidney failure. For some reason it's the part whose warranty wears out first on a cat. I wish there wasn't so much pain involved. Usually by the time we took them to the vet to figure out what it was, it was already time to put an end to the suffering. Sympathies.

We recently got the news that our feline companion of eight years is suffering a progressive and inevitable kidney failure. She's not expected to live more than 6-12 months. But she 's also not eating right now so we're not sure if she'll make the week, much less half a year.

She also not her usual self. Normally, she would be playful, affectionate, chatty....trying to climb into your lap and face in search of attention while purring like an outboard motor. Now all she can do is lie there in discomfort, barely strong enough to walk a few feet.

And we're expected to try to get on with our lives while she's going through this? We're trying to find joy in our 6-month old and an soon-to-be-arriving nephew. We have family and friends visiting in the next weeks....and we don't know how we're supposed to put on a brave face and somehow pretend that our furry friend isn't slowly dying.

It sucks and it's unfair. I know there's nothing we can do about it and that almost makes it worse. I want to cry or scream or curse or all of the above. I want it all to just stop but I don't really get a say in the matter. I don't want to give up on her...but I don't want her to have to suffer.

It's just f*****d up.

Sorry. Thanks for letting me vent.

Lonewalker

I've been in this spot more than a few times, and it isn't fun. Not even a little bit. As much as you don't want to loose the kitty, watching her suffer is even worse, for both you and her. It may be less painful for everyone in the long-run to have her put to sleep now.

Deepest sympathy, Lonewalker. I still miss my dear Pudge every day. She died on our wedding anniversary. We didn't even get a chance to say goodbye as we took her to the Vet and she passed there. When we dropped her off I just said Be a good girl, Pudgie, and we left. We never saw her again. I should have known that was it. Her weight had dropped to seven pounds and she had gone under the bed, where she never went and protested loudly when we dragged her out to go to the Vet. The Vet apologized profusely for being unable to save her, but she was over 21 years old and it was just her time.

I know it is ten times worse for you as your cat is still young and this is all so sudden. I will pray tonight for you and your cat.

Thanks for the sympathy, everyone. It means a lot.

This afternoon we took Chiral to the vet, originally to get some advice on IV drips and food, though we were preparing ourselves for the inevitable. The vet admitted that if she wasn't going to eat (which she hadn't since last Wednesday morning), then there wasn't much hope. She felt around Chiral's body and told us that the tenseness that she felt and the heavy breathing meant that Chiral was in more pain than she originally realized. My wife and I made the decision not to let our friend suffer any longer. It was extremely painful for us to do, but we know that we made the right decision not to let her die by degrees over who knows how long.

We buried her in a nearby natural area - Chiral always liked the outdoors even though we never let her outside. We felt it was a great place for her to rest.

Again, thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers. You all are the best.

Lonewalker

My condolences. I know you had to have loved your Chiral as much as I loved my Nefertiti.

I don't know if it will help or hurt, or if you believe in any kind of afterlife, but even an atheist like me found a little comfort in this:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

My condolences. I know you had to have loved your Chiral as much as I loved my Nefertiti.

I don't know if it will help or hurt, or if you believe in any kind of afterlife, but even an atheist like me found a little comfort in this:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

~in tears~

Thank you.

Chiral was a very good kitty. She loved people, and would happily climb up on your lap (especially if you had buttons -- she loved chewing on buttons for some reason!). She also liked riding up on peoples' shoulders. She would climb you like she was climbing a tree, and then perch up on your shoulder as you walked around the house. She also loved to chat. "Mow mow mow," following you around the house and then running halfway up the stairs, hoping you would get the hint and feed her. I'm sure Lonewalker could tell you a million stories about the mischief she and her adopted sister would get into. She was a great kitty, and I'm going to miss her too. :(

Thank you. That was wonderful.

Thanks to all of you. Your kindness is appreciated.

Lonewalker

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help, if just a little bit. Finding that bit of prose was one of the few things that kept me from trying to join Nefertiti the hard way when she left me.