The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Last month I signed a contract extension for six months. Figured that since that would give me a full year employment, and usually the only time off work I have is when I'm "between contracts", I should take this week off - it's school holidays, and yesterday was a holiday anyway (I don't get paid for any time off).

So today, my first actual day off, I get a phone call to give me four weeks notice, the projects they were expecting to be ramping up have been put back and they are going to trim staff.

I have been stuffed up for three days. It's a shame they outlawed Ephedrine' date=' the decongestant that actually works due to a B*llsh*t Railroad-Job, Scare Tactic, Hysteria-Hype Campaign. Don't even get me started. :mad:[/quote']

As a note, unless it is a local law, ephedrine isn't illegal. It is controlled, but at least out here you can still buy it. Without a prescription even.

You have to bug a counter person to unlock the cabinet here.

Yup, that's part of the "controlled" bit. But having to ask someone at the pharmacy counter for it isn't the same as it being illegal. Unless as I said before New Jersey has some local laws that I'm unaware of making it actually illegal. Which would indeed be even stupider...

Yup' date=' that's part of the "controlled" bit. But having to ask someone at the pharmacy counter for it isn't the same as it being illegal. Unless as I said before New Jersey has some local laws that I'm unaware of making it actually illegal. Which would indeed be even stupider...[/quote']

I remember now. They didn't make it illegal, just much more expensive.

Hmm. I didn't notice a price change here. Possibly pharmacies just stopped carrying generic brands' date=' which are usually much cheaper. You've got my sympathy.[/quote']

In Utah it got more expensive due to you couldn't buy the larger quantity any more. So price per pill went up by a significant amount.

Not really a cranky post, but a scarey/dreaded one.

I have to drive my dad out of town on the highway for over one hour to a place called Berry Springs. I've only ever driven there once, and it is the furtherest place I've driven too. All my other driving has been residential. I'm not looking forward to it. Why? My mum was taking the grandkids to our holiday home and put the wrong fuel in the car, consequently, unsurprisedly, it broke down. Now dad & I have to pick it up and bring it home.

Broke down? Wrong fuel shouldn't really break the car so much as require that you siphon it out and put right fuel in. Not to say that it's impossible, though.

Highway driving is easy. Fast, yes, but it's all in a straight line. Lane changes are iffy but if you can look over your shoulder without reflexively turning the wheel in the process, you should be fine.

Broke down? Wrong fuel shouldn't really break the car so much as require that you siphon it out and put right fuel in. Not to say that it's impossible, though.

Highway driving is easy. Fast, yes, but it's all in a straight line. Lane changes are iffy but if you can look over your shoulder without reflexively turning the wheel in the process, you should be fine.

It makes a difference if the motor/engine is expecting diesel and you put in petrol (vice versa).

And it is the length of time + the speed + not knowing where I'm going (the unknown) which is causing the worry/lack of confidence/dread.

It makes a difference if the motor/engine is expecting diesel and you put in petrol (vice versa).

And it is the length of time + the speed + not knowing where I'm going (the unknown) which is causing the worry/lack of confidence/dread.

I made it back. :straight::D

Broke down? Wrong fuel shouldn't really break the car so much as require that you siphon it out and put right fuel in. Not to say that it's impossible' date=' though.[/quote']

A friend of mine once put aviation gas in his VW. Vrroooom! Suddenly the one-lung old bug was blowing everyone off the road.

Of course, the next morning the car was standing in a pool of motor oil. He'd blown off the oil cooler.

A friend of mine once put aviation gas in his VW. Vrroooom! Suddenly the one-lung old bug was blowing everyone off the road.

Of course, the next morning the car was standing in a pool of motor oil. He'd blown off the oil cooler.

I have a friend that would run his car on Coleman White Gas when he needed to get his car to pass emissions. It runs hotter, but MUCH cleaner.

I have a friend that would run his car on Coleman White Gas when he needed to get his car to pass emissions. It runs hotter' date=' but MUCH cleaner.[/quote']

There's a natural gas station across the street from my work; I was thinking one would need an engine conversion to use the stuff. It's about half the cost of gasoline. Was my original assumption mistaken?

There's a natural gas station across the street from my work; I was thinking one would need an engine conversion to use the stuff. It's about half the cost of gasoline. Was my original assumption mistaken?

Natural gas and white gas are not the same thing. Natural gas is a gas that is mostly methane. White gas is naptha, which is a liquid.