Longest Running Thread EVER

Saw 'Elysium' last night*. I left the theater thinking I should sue the filmmakes for assault and battery. It was that bad IMO.. *only because the rifftrax (http://www.rifftrax.com/home) showing of an 'MST3K-ed' Starship Troopers was sold out.
It wasn't on my list of things to see this summer (mind you, I go to very few movies), but I'll take the warning.

yes...hollywood keeps making the "same" movie so often...might as well be a "soylent green" film (or sequel, or threequel etc).

ps: was speaking figuratively and using soylent green as an analogy for modern 21st century Hollywood's panache to remake films or existing pop culture properties.

How did hollywood get here? There's no overarching theory, no readily identifiable villain, no single moment to which the current combination of caution, despair, and underachievement that defines studio thinking can be traced. But let's pick one anyway: Top Gun.

[...] Then came Top Gun. The man calling the shots may have been Tony Scott, but the film's real auteurs were producers Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer, two men who pioneered the "high-concept" blockbuster—films for which the trailer or even the tagline told the story instantly. At their most basic, their movies weren't movies; they were pure product—stitched-together amalgams of amphetamine action beats, star casting, music videos, and a diamond-hard laminate of technological adrenaline all designed to distract you from their lack of internal coherence, narrative credibility, or recognizable human qualities. They were rails of celluloid cocaine with only one goal: the transient heightening of sensation.

[...]

It took twenty-four years to get here, but it's finally happening: Top Gun 2.

anyone else looking forward to Top Gun 2? :D :D