Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

And then assign it the array and initialize it in the Form1_Load 'function' that executes once when the form first starts up/loads with:

D'oh! That was my bad for not asking if you were using the Form_Load event. There is also an Initialize event that you might like better since it occurs before the Load event. But if you are trying to keep it simple and not worry about scope that much, the Load event should suffice. Just remember to properly Unload the form when you close it. Just because you hit the "x" doesn't necessarily mean it is removed from memory. That has been a long-standing source of memory leaks. Otherwise, congrats on the successful implementation!

why can't I find somethign similar for Visual C++? Grrr.

Because Visual C++ is proprietary' date=' and they intend to make money off the sale of documentation and training. Duh.[/quote']

(in Exchange, ***everything*** is an IUnknown object with a large collection of properties)

Reported this to the boss, deleted my copy, and went on flailing ineffectively at what I was supposed to do without a budget.

Four little letters: MSDN. Microsoft wants all of us that use their programming languages to subscribe. And, I have to say, it is worth subscribing to if it is your profession, but if you just program as a hobby, or as a side function of your profession (me in both cases), then it is a serious hindrance to success. Thankfully, I used to teach VB programming so I had an MSDN subscription as well as was taught by Microsoft in the first place. If I was trying to go it alone... yeah, I wouldn't. Thankfully, there are a lot of programmers on the 'net though, and with each day more and more useful content from MSDN is leaked through blogs and developer forums. If I was to do a lot more programming with Microsoft languages than I do, I would definitely be spending a great deal of time in the various developer forums. But I've been moving more in the direction of Java and Ruby on Rails, so it is a moot point now.

Yeah, me too, though I am now pretty much a scientific Python user for the most part.

THing is, we *had* an MSDN company license, but Ex2000 wasn't part of that. The SDK for Ex2000 was a separate product that you had to buy. And since the company was still "kicking the tires", they weren't buying. But part of kicking the tires is getting a handle on what it does to your internal email structure ... which couldn't be done with any effectiveness because of the lack of documentation ....

I get paid substantially less in academia, but I'm happier.

Yeah, I can believe it. On all counts. I've considered that road myself. I loved teaching when I was doing it, but it didn't pay the bills as well as my current position. However, the youngest child graduates next year...

D'oh! That was my bad for not asking if you were using the Form_Load event. There is also an Initialize event that you might like better since it occurs before the Load event. But if you are trying to keep it simple and not worry about scope that much' date=' the Load event should suffice. Just remember to properly Unload the form when you close it. Just because you hit the "x" doesn't necessarily mean it is removed from memory. That has been a long-standing source of memory leaks. Otherwise, congrats on the successful implementation![/quote']

Thanks! It's working well so far. I haven't been using the "x", but built in an Exit button that triggers an Application::Exit();. Would that handle the unloading, or do I still need to do it explicitly?

What event did you put it in? If it is in the Form.Closing event that should be fine. The only concern I would have is that the Application.Exit event skips over the Form.Closing event and if there is any code in there, it wouldn't run. But I'm thinking you have everything coded only in the Form, so that should be fine since the Application.Exit would likely be the same as the Form.Closing.

Yes, so far, I have everything in the form. I have a button on the form that when I click it, it calls it's click event where I have the Application::Exit() code.

And I just got the file input and output working! {happy dance}

Now for 3 hrs of sleep before work tonight.

Because Visual C++ is proprietary' date=' and they intend to make money off the sale of documentation and training. Duh.[/quote']

Yeah, what do people expect, Microsoft is a charity?

FWIW: Apple's developer tools and documentation ARE free.

So' date=' in the approx 300-350 years of science/physics, we have a model of the universe/existence, right?[/quote']

In non-layman's terms, I'd say we have a halfway decent working model that still have some gaps. The gaps were bigger in the past (at one point, you could say it was nothing but gaps), but have been shrinking.

Depends on the phenomena, of course.

There are certain aspects of physics where physicists have loud arguments about the model, or even the interpretation of the model. Quantum mechanics is an infamous one. The most commonly encountered interpretation of QM is the "Copenhagen interpretation", but others exist, and anyone who thinks deeply about what QM is has some misgivings about its interpretation. The tools are there to work out certain problems, but it is an error to think that we really understand the underlying nature of reality.

Mind you, many of the people outside of physics who criticize its models have no clue about what the models actually entail, and will gleefully talk unendingly spouting logicless drivel, too.