Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Based on what I've learned in university classes and my own research it appears to have been late 40s, early 50s, at least in the US. It was part of the post-war era to really get the economy flourishing and to get everyone to forget about the war. There appear to have been a lot of changes in advertising during this period. There was a big push to point out gender differences in everything from the color of clothes that each gender wore to the types of bathroom products that each gender used. This was also the period of the creation of the baby boomers in the US, and I'm assuming abroad, and the advertising of the time seemed to really be forcing the importance of women staying home and bearing as many children as possible. I have a theory that a lot of the changes in advertising came about from the lessons learned from war propaganda, but I don't have any proof to back it up.

Based on what I've learned in university classes and my own research it appears to have been late 40s' date=' early 50s, at least in the US. It was part of the post-war era to really get the economy flourishing and to get everyone to forget about the war. There appear to have been a lot of changes in advertising during this period. There was a big push to point out gender differences in everything from the color of clothes that each gender wore to the types of bathroom products that each gender used. This was also the period of the creation of the baby boomers in the US, and I'm assuming abroad, and the advertising of the time seemed to really be forcing the importance of women staying home and bearing as many children as possible. I have a theory that a lot of the changes in advertising came about from the lessons learned from war propaganda, but I don't have any proof to back it up.[/quote']

by and large, I agree with your theory that war propaganda influenced advertising in the post-war period.

[plug] in fact the book The Hidden Persuaders -- critical of the advertising industry -- is about this exact period, and was published just before the 60s, the era that the tv show Mad Men is set. [/plug]. :)

Been reading New Scientist articles of interest.

Ultimate logic

Ultimate logic: To infinity and beyond

The mysteries of infinity could lead us to a fantastic structure above and beyond mathematics as we know it

Beyond space-time

Beyond space-time: Welcome to phase space (images)

A theory of reality beyond Einstein's universe is taking shape – and a mysterious cosmic signal could soon fill in the blanks

there is a lot to be said that in times past they wanted things to be GOOD and LAST. Nowadays it is a throwaway society -- keep up with the jones.

And, the change toward business practices that values maximum immediate profit over all other concerns, like craftsmanship or ethics or reputation.

And' date=' the change toward business practices that values maximum immediate profit over all other concerns, like craftsmanship or ethics or reputation.[/quote']

yep.
including social issues, environmental issues. Sustainability, both for the company and the place it "lives" and "operates" in.

For RPMiller:

Basically the whole "trilogy" is about the lost of American industry due to cost accounting, traditional management and hierarchical bureaucracy.

1. Why Amazon Can't Make A Kindle In the USA
  2. Does It Really Matter That Amazon Can't Manufacture A Kindle In the USA?
  3. Amazon & Kindle Part 3: It's Not Just Manufacturing!
  4. Amazon & Kindle Part 4: Some Good News (Finally)!

From Part 1

Take a recent study that set out to shed light on the role of Chinese businesses vis-à-vis American consumers. Galina Hale and Bart Hobijn, two economists from the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, did a study showing that only 2.7% of U.S. consumer purchases have the “Made in China” label. Moreover, only 1.2% actually reflects the cost of the imported goods. Thus, on average, of every dollar spent on an item labeled “Made in China,” 55 cents go for services produced in the United States. So the study trumpets the finding that China has only a tiny sliver of the U.S. economy.

So no problem, right?

Well, not exactly. The tiny sliver happens to be the sliver that matters.

From Part 3

These comments, while being correct as far as they go, miss the key point of the article, which is only partly about the decline of manufacturing. The main thrust of the article is the decline of management. Outsourcing and the loss of whole sectors of the economy are the consequence of anachronistic management in the Fortune 500 that is ill-adapted to the needs of the modern economy.

So far haven't read part 4, will be doing that tomorrow. :)

The "prequel" 3 page article (ie backgrounder) to the above 4-part article on the Amazon Kindle.

How Do You Explain Radical Management (Or Agile) To A CFO?

1. Page 1
  2. Page 2
  3. Page 3

I haven't read this yet, hope to do so tomorrow, posting this and the Amazon Kindle as I'm sure RPMiller would be interested in it.

Thanks Bazza. I'll read through these as I have time, but just from your quotes I can tell that this is very much right on the money from my recent classes and my own research and discussions I've had. It is interesting how badly we need a management revolution in this country. It is really unfortunate that the old guard is hanging on for so long due to better medical and poor economy because it is blocking the younger generation with the better insights into business practices from moving up, and even then the old guard is "mentoring" the new and promoting the old ways rather than listening to the new ways to conduct business.

No worries. as I started reading them I thought "RPMiller would very much like these".

So hope you enjoy them, when you get time to read them.

And it is not just America, but also in UK, and I can see it occurring in Australia too. While I was studying business I was thinking similar thoughts, but not so developed. Ie: If jobs keep going oversees due to cutting costs, there will be no one here able to buy the goods as they won't have a job/income to afford them.

It's time the developed nations wake up, it is already too late. Once the developing countries have developed, where are they going to outsource to next?

Wow, doesn't anyone do this any more?

Back in the mid-80's, one of the things everyone (that I knew) did to maintain their sanity through the Reagan years was compile a "wall list", that is, a list of people to go up against the wall and get shot when the revolution hit. Debating the relative order of those appearing in the lists was a source of great discussion, kind of like the Random Musings thread before the Web made such things trivial.

too one infinite loop and beyond

For those of us who learned Fortran prgramming in the 1970's' date=' way, [i']way[/i] beyond.

Not sure if you get my two references. The first, Apple HQ's residential address is 1 infinite loop, based from programming jargon. The second is Buzz Lightyear's catchphrase, the first Toy Story, Steve Jobs was executive producer.