Longest Running Thread EVER

And in three weeks, I reprise my role as the Ogre of Physics 106. Let the screaming begin.

I don't think I really started screaming until Physics 272, which was electromagnetism.  And then it was less because of the subject matter than the professor, who would dock points on your exam if you didn't indent your calculations the way he wanted.  That and his predilection for edge-case and trick questions were really, really annoying.

By thermodynamics the screaming was over, supplanted by a pathetic whimpering.

This is the algebra-based physics series, the one the life sciences people take. No one likes teaching that course because the pre-meds scream so loud the Board of Trustees hears it if you even say the phrase "coupled vector differential equations" out loud. But teaching electromagnetism without recourse to Maxwell's Equations is like teaching the New Testament without ever going into the Four Gospels.

So I ask them, what's the electricity word everyone uses the most? "Volt", I say, and everyone nods. "OK, what's a volt?" Deer in the headlights. "It is the SI unit of electric potential," I say before some smartaleck can read me the wikipedia page off his phone. "So what is electric potential?"

The silence gets very taut after that.

The way I usually explain it is "how badly the electricity wants to get from A to B."  If you have electrodes on either side of your head, and the potential difference is low, then the electrons will stay where they are.  If the voltage is high, then they will move from one electrode to the other despite any resistance offered by the intervening space.

Amperage is "how many electrons there are" or, to put it another way, "how many dice of damage you roll."  :eg:

Electric potential can be thought of this way: it is the difference in electric potential that tells you how much electrical energy you can get by letting charges move as they want between two points.

If you have 1 volt of electric potential difference between two points, then by letting 1 coulomb of charge be attracted from one point to another, you get one joule of energy out. If you let a steady flow of charge, 1 coulomb per second, flow through that same 1 volt of potential difference, you get out 1 joule per second, or 1 watt, of power.

This is the algebra-based physics series, the one the life sciences people take. No one likes teaching that course because the pre-meds scream so loud the Board of Trustees hears it if you even say the phrase "coupled vector differential equations" out loud. But teaching electromagnetism without recourse to Maxwell's Equations is like teaching the New Testament without ever going into the Four Gospels.

Oddly enough, I once received a tract from one of the evangelical groups encouraging me to "Read the New Testament starting at the Gospel of John and through Revelations [sic]".

Which led me to wonder, "What does your church not want me to see in Matthew, Mark, and Luke?"