Longest Running Thread EVER

Thermite, you say?

3 Fe3O4(s) + 8 Al(s) => 4 Al2O3(s) + 9 Fe(l)

Yes, you get liquid iron at the end of this reaction. It's that hot.

(I had a professor who loved to say that this equation was so easy even Tiger Woods could balance it--because it had nine irons.)

About as good as Lee Trevino's comment about when a thunderstorm loomed and he would walk down the middle of the fairway holding his 1-iron up in the air, because not even God can hit a 1-iron.

Don't get me all sentimental over the old Cray X-MP and its enormous 256 MW (64-bit words) of RAM....

Apparently one of the local universities was offered a soon-to-be-decommissioned Cray back in the day. They turned it down because of the excessive maintenance costs.

Just what I said. I ask students to plot graphs, and it is as if I had asked them to change one of the inner tires on a loaded tractor-trailer rig. In principle they know what needs to be done, but they seem to have done very little of it, and it is obviously a major imposition on my part to ask for it.

I blame graphing calculators and an excessive dependence on Excel.