Longest Running Thread EVER

Now, the car you bring in may not be ideally equipped for the new location, but that's hardly a situation unique to HI.

Witness the 1970 Ford Maverick with no air conditioning and black vinyl interior purchased for service in northern California that I took to central Texas. "The Rolling Dutch Oven", I called it.

Do people bring their cars to Hawaii? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just sell the old one and buy a new?

People have been known to fly to the mainland, buy a car there, and have it shipped back as the cheaper option. Dealer markup here is ludicrous.

Otherwise we get a lot of military types shipping their cars out from wherever when they get transferred here. I imagine those might have ice scrapers.

I remember going to the mainland on business once and finding an ice scraper on the dash of the rental. I was like "what the hell is this thing?" I think that was the Boston trip.

When we bought a car when I was a kid in West Berlin, my folks bought a used Volvo that had an extra control in it, a handle that could put a screen in front of the engine to block the cold air from flowing around it. Being a Volvo manufactured for northern Europe, it had that since at times you didn't want that cooling ... January in Lappland or in Sarek National Park or something. Dad knew what it was and what it was for and told us never to touch it. I've never seen it in a US made vehicle.