Longest Running Thread EVER

Once when I was teaching the Solar System course it just so happened that Venus was the subject on May 5, and Venus has some poorly-understood geological features called coronae. This was completely unplanned, and when it dawned on me in lecture just what our situation was, I came to a full stop, looked up into the lecture hall, and said, "It seems appropriate to be discussing Coronas on Cinco de Mayo," and then continued on in the lecture without further digression. The students seem to have been completely stunned at the comment, or they were too stupid to make the connection.

Once when I was teaching the Solar System course it just so happened that Venus was the subject on May 5, and Venus has some poorly-understood geological features called coronae. This was completely unplanned, and when it dawned on me in lecture just what our situation was, I came to a full stop, looked up into the lecture hall, and said, "It seems appropriate to be discussing Coronas on Cinco de Mayo," and then continued on in the lecture without further digression. The students seem to have been completely stunned at the comment, or they were too stupid to make the connection.

http://www.glasbergen.com/wp-content/gallery/cartoons/toon-1782.gif

Of course, there's the issue of those who are too stupid to recognize evidence and too indifferent to seek to change that condition.

My favorites were the ones who, back in the day, would sit in class and read the newspaper.   ಠ_ಠ

I just couldn't get my head around the incredible disrespect and the sheer idiocy of ignoring the education that they were paying rather a lot of money for.  And the apathy of the lecturers who put up with it.

My favorites were the ones who, back in the day, would sit in class and read the newspaper.   ಠ_ಠ

I just couldn't get my head around the incredible disrespect and the sheer idiocy of ignoring the education that they were paying rather a lot of money for.  And the apathy of the lecturers who put up with it.

I must admit i did that with one class it took. I could barely understand the accent of this lecturer on cost accounting. By the time i understood a unimportant word  -- say the word was bananas -- he was already 3 or 4 words ahead. Bah! The tutor wasn't much better.  Didn't learn much of anything, except how to pass the class without even trying. Probably because everyone else int he class was the same. There  is something to be said against foreign lecturers. 

So what i was doing the tutorials was be right at the back and read the course catalog of Oxford University. :D  

"Apathetic"? You wound me, sir.

Oh, we notice. And remember. And construct exams around the things that we know were wantonly let slide by. And oh yes, there is malice in every exam page I give and every lab activity I construct.

"And into this exam he poured all his cruelty, his malice, and his will to dominate all life."

"Apathetic"? You wound me, sir.

Oh, we notice. And remember. And construct exams around the things that we know were wantonly let slide by. And oh yes, there is malice in every exam page I give and every lab activity I construct.

This is true. I pay attention to how kids are responding to what I'm teaching, and I cannot tell you all how many times I've said to myself, "This is going on their next exam" based on the students' reaction (or lack thereof) to the lesson. I give pop quizzes with similar motivation.