Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

If you have thousands of volts, then you have multi-keV electrons, almost by definition. If those suffer a strong impact, then there will be x-rays generated. An X-ray tube is particularly efficient at making x-rays because the set-up produces collimated high-energy electrons, and stops them all in the same place moving with the same direction, which makes the x-rays more or less all the same energy and more or less all in the same direction, in a useful beam, without needing a great deal of current to make a useful amount of x-rays. Around a strongly arcing source, the x-rays will be more of a diffuse omnidirectional bath. That would hazardous to delicate equipment, undeveloped photographic media, and the operators of the arcing equipment, since only they are around long enough to accumulate a hazardous dose.

Well, it's not like you get x-ray doage from anywhere else, usually.

Frankly, I would have to find out how much current such a coil was going to release, then assume some number of x-ray photons per electron released, find how to run that x-ray release into radiation dose, and see how dangerous it is. I know my department chair here was pretty firm about dismantling a tesla coil when the lab manager and a student cobbled on together a few years ago, but I don't know how big a hazard the thing actually was.

Right, but if you don't work in such a facility, then otherwise it's research labs and microlithography fabrication sites. And all of those have pretty tightly controlled on-or-off states and strong radiation dose regulations.

Well, it's not like you get x-ray doage from anywhere else, usually.

Frankly, I would have to find out how much current such a coil was going to release, then assume some number of x-ray photons per electron released, find how to run that x-ray release into radiation dose, and see how dangerous it is. I know my department chair here was pretty firm about dismantling a tesla coil when the lab manager and a student cobbled on together a few years ago, but I don't know how big a hazard the thing actually was.

As an x-ray source or an electrocution hazard? Or because of the electric bill?

I assumed it was the x-ray hazard, but the electric shock might be part of it too. (How well do today's handheld electronics stand up to strong static discharges?)

The power use is small, I think. At least, the power cord on the device wasn't anything special.