Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

So, today's accomplishment was removing the concrete casting that used to anchor a fencepost (the below-ground-level portion of the post had completely rotted away, and then removing the rock under/alongside it which was just about the same size as the concrete casting. Then placing the new post anchor (a cinder block lower part with a steel bracket poking out the top, and the post goes into the bracket which hopefully will be ABOVE ground level, which should forestall rot). I will have to reseat it tomorrow after making sure it's square, and finding another source of dirt to fill around and over the block. The concrete and the rock were so big I need to get more dirt from somewhere else to get this new anchor firmly planted.

I'm OK, but I am doing no more than 2-3 hours a day if any at all. Today, I squared the bottom of the hole for the anchor, set it in place and got it lines up right, half-covered it with soil and water and let it set. I'll add more soil tomorrow and hopefully that'll be sturdy enough to hold a fencepost rigidly.

So far, most of the fence I've seen already had block-and-bracket anchors for the posts. This one wasn't that way; it was post-hole and concrete, with the wood at and below ground completely rotted away (that last is NOT unusual around here). Even for those with the brackets, the bases of the posts are often rotted so the post leans badly. I've already replaced four posts in backets.

How many more of these bracketless posts I'll need to replace is TBD. I know there's at least three or four bracketed posts that need replacing, though. And a number of other fence pieces.

And this is way they created metal fence posts that look like wood... I needed one of my side fences replaced last year and considered going with the metal ones, but my neighbor refused to split the cost if I did. Therefore, I'm planning on replacing the fence again in about 10 years when the posts all rot through again.

We've had this house since the mid-1990s, and all things considered it hasn't done too badly. We had four-five posts replaced about 8 years back, but nothing else needed to be done then. Now I am replacing another 8 or so posts, and some stringers (horizontal rails), and some planks. And I'll finish by putting in a new gate, since that is just about worthless now. I haven't walked the whole fence (there's a stretch with heavy bushes on both sides) but I think I have already dealt with the only post that isn't in a block-and-bracket anchor.

Just made my wife happy by bringing home the 10th Girl Genius collection.

Oh' date=' a fan?[/quote']

More than one of them, though my daughter (who was in the shower when I got home) was irate that her mother got the book first.