City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Dreadhawk

Re: City of Heroes - Online Hero Game

Not sure, I think it's GojiraRed. That's my login name, anyway. I might be playing with the toon generator, to see if I can reserve some of the names I want, so I might be on-and-off a lot, but eventually I'll play some more.

Not sure' date=' I think it's GojiraRed. That's my login name, anyway. I might be playing with the toon generator, to see if I can reserve some of the names I want, so I might be on-and-off a lot, but eventually I'll play some more.[/quote']

Mine is @Ithecles make me a global friend.

When you start City of Heroes' date=' before you click NEXT, you can click on the screen with the contest picture. Or you can go here: http://www.cityofheroes.com/community/contest_12.html[/quote']

Of course down in the little legal text you agree to give up ALL rights to whatever you submit. So, I wouldn't use any characters etc that you ever might seriously think about doing other things with (print, film, etc.).

Of course down in the little legal text you agree to give up ALL rights to whatever you submit. So' date=' I wouldn't use any characters etc that you ever might seriously think about doing other things with (print, film, etc.).[/quote']

Doesn't the EULA basically say that about any character you create for the game? I thought they did that so that they could put player-created characters in the comic book without any legal entanglements.

Doesn't the EULA basically say that about any character you create for the game? I thought they did that so that they could put player-created characters in the comic book without any legal entanglements.
Sorta...

Remember, IANAL.

To the extent that NC Interactive cannot claim exclusive rights in Member Content by operation of law, you hereby grant (or you warrant that the owner of such Member Content has expressly granted) to NC Interactive and its related Game Content Providers a non-exclusive, universal, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicenseable right to exercise all rights of any kind or nature associated with such Member Content, and all ancillary and subsidiary rights thereto, in any languages and media now known or not currently known. You shall indemnify and hold NC Interactive and its affiliates harmless from and against any claims by third parties that your Member Content infringes upon, violates or misappropriates any of their intellectual property or proprietary rights.

The ability of NCSoft to claim exclusive rights to anything you create in the game is legally untested at this time. The general position of copyright lawyers is that such a claim would be extremely difficult to make. So feel free to publish a character you have created in CoH. Most likely, nothing will ever come of it, but you will be unable to make any claim against NCSoft if they decide to also utilize the character or further license the character to third parties.

The ability of a contest-holding legal entity to lay claim to content submitted to said contest, especially when backed-up by their contest terms, has been tested in court, with the majority of cases found in favor of the contest-holder.

Not sure' date=' I think it's GojiraRed.[/quote']Unless you have changed it, your global handle should default to the first character you logged in. Everyone gets to change their global handle once, with occassional tokens handed out to change it again.

What's your global handle? I'll send you a global friend invite from @Thunderfire.

We should start a global channel, call it FREd or something.

I have a guild called The Hero System. I need prestige points. :)

Global: @HERO5er

James

There already is a global for the Hero boards. Have to find it and post the name.

Lemming invited me to the Hero Boards channel and made me an operator, and I invited Gojira. The channel is public, so you should be able to join without an invite by right-clicking on your chat window and choosing Join Channel from the context menu. Type Hero Boards in the channel field and click OK.

If we run into too many Damn Spammers, an operator can kick 'em and switch us to Private. Then we'll manage invites manually.

Someone asked me if I wanted to join the supergroup Eurostar and before I could say "Sure!" they took it back, lol.

Of course, since I'm evil, I can just hunt you down now. ;)

That was me, I tought you said you already had a group.

hehe' date=' I meant I was going to wait for someone on the Hero Boards to invite me. I thought you were some random SG inviter at first, remember?[/quote']

If I spot youagain, I'll reinvite you.

That was me' date=' I tought you said you already had a group.[/quote']Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the phrasing of the CoH Terms of Use should be closely examined here.

By submitting Member Content to or creating Member Content on any area of the Service, you acknowledge and agree that such Member Content is the sole property of NC Interactive. To the extent that NC Interactive cannot claim exclusive rights in Member Content by operation of law, you hereby grant (
or you warrant that the owner of such Member Content has expressly granted
) to NC Interactive[...]

Eurostar is the property of DOJ Inc, which has not expressly granted permission to utilize its IP in this manner. In fact, that permission was expressly withheld in this thread.

Now, what does this mean to you? Steve has covered DOJ's butt by expressly withholding permission, which means that you cannot "warrant that the owner of such Member Content has expressly granted". While this makes you technically in violation of the CoH Terms of Use, the potential to be caught at it and the penalty if you are caught are both minor. At worst, you risk your Supergroup getting genericized. It wouldn't be the first GenericSupergroup456872 I've seen attached to a toon.

IMO it comes down to a matter of courtesy to DOJ, but YMMV.

As always, remember IANAL.

Just added some new toons to Champion (Yes, I finally joined)

As always, @Proditor

Hero:

Proditor Cappela: Invul/SS Tank

Manta-man: Storm/Elec Defender

Evergreen Dryad: Spines/Regen Scrapper

Villains:

Dr. Wraithman: Zombie/Dark Mastermind

Mercury Mercenary: Gun/Kinetic Corruptor

And yes, I do still have all my V&V books, why do you ask?

;)

I'm also on the Hero boards channel (Thanks to Hero Gojira and Lemming!)

My Toons on Champions:

Villains:

Devils Talisman - a homage to Talisman, Pamela Duquesne, in the Champion's Universe. A fire/miasma corruptor. Currently level 9 and a member of the supergroup Eurostar.

Gojira Red - my alter ego on Champion. A big, green skinned, scaly Invulnerability/Electrical brute. Level 5 or so and also a member of Eurostar. Likes to raid the frig in the group's base.

Iron Mistress - currently level 6 or so, but slated to be respeced. I think I'm going to turn her into a Mastermind, with robot pets and Force Fields for secondary power. Also currently in Eurostar.

Heroes:

I have a few Heroes too that I'm not playing as much. Iron Tech may get respec'd (and renamed, my handle from beta, Iron Guy, is taken, sadly). Empress Catherine is a Invul/Super Strength Tanker and possibly the only 8 foot tall woman in CoH. The Real Dr. Manhattan is I think a Psi/Empathy Controller.

And I'm on the Hero Boards channel.